Feedback on RYIIIPA Recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score
Looking for feedback on my new beer design.

As a hop head im looking to expand my brewing into Rye's. I wanted my first Rye beer to have a KICK and be reminiscent of my ever so loved west coast style. So to start i wanted to do about 1/3 rye.

YEASTY's!
Safale 05

FERMENTABLES!!
14 lbs ----- American Two-row Pale
3 lbs ------Weyermann Rye
1/2 lbs --- Crystal 45L
22 oz -----Blue Agave (added into boil: 10oz at 90min and 12oz at 15 min)

My signature in all my recent beers is to add unfiltered organic pure blue agave. It brings a whole new flavor profile to my IIPA's. Every one of the beers i have brewed with agave have scored 30+ at competitions. It also boosts up the ABV and adds a nice redish color to the beer. 150 Degree Mash for 75 min

HOPS!!
90 min 3 oz Tomahawk (16%)
60 min 2 oz Simcoe (13%)
45 min 3 oz Apallo (18%)

30 min 1 oz Tomahawk (16%)
30 min 1 oz Simcoe (13%)
30 min 1 oz Apallo (18%)

F. out 1 oz Simcoe (13%)
F. out 1 oz Apallo (18%)
F. out 1 oz Cascade (5%)

Dry Hop 1 oz Simcoe (13%)
Dry Hop 1 oz Apallo (18%)
Dry Hop 0.5 oz Tomahawk (16%)

Additions
Anti Foam
PH Stabliser
Teaspoon of Gypsum
Wirlflock

Final product - 1.110 OG @ 4.75 Gallons

Looks good, but might come out a tad light. Don't know what color you're looking for, but for rye beer I like to bring out more red. A bit of chocolate malt (1 or 2 oz.) would do that for you. Good luck!

[edit] just read the rest of the post. If the agave sugar adds color then I suppose you are good.

Looks good, but might come out a tad light. Don't know what color you're looking for, but for rye beer I like to bring out more red. A bit of chocolate malt (1 or 2 oz.) would do that for you. Good luck!

[edit] just read the rest of the post. If the agave sugar adds color then I suppose you are good.

Unfiltered Agave is darker in color. The longer it boils the more color it adds. Thats also why i add 10oz in the beginning of the boil. Im hoping for a 21 or a hair lower on the SRM color chart. Last time i put all the Agave in the boil at the beginning and it turned out way too dark. :eek:

My signature in all my recent beers is to add unfiltered organic pure blue agave. It brings a whole new flavor profile to my IIPA's. Every one of the beers i have brewed with agave have scored 30+ at competitions.

No offense intended towards a technique that I'll probably try at some point, but maybe you're just brewing better beer now? I've entered a couple dozen beers in comps and scored under a 30 maybe twice (and one of those was a steward putting the beer in an unrelated style flight!).

I do love rye, especially in IPAs and saisons. You're on a good track with the Tomahawk. I do my rye IPA with Zeus (same hop) and willamette.

I've never made an all-grain Rye beer, but when I do I plan on using at least 25% Rye for the grist, but probably closer to 30%. I really like rye, at least in beer (ironically I hate rye bread, then again I haven't given it a try since I was a kid...) so that may not be for you, but when I try a commercial rye beer I generally have to really try to look for that rye character, rather than have it slap me in the face.

No offense intended towards a technique that I'll probably try at some point, but maybe you're just brewing better beer now? I've entered a couple dozen beers in comps and scored under a 30 maybe twice (and one of those was a steward putting the beer in an unrelated style flight!).

I do love rye, especially in IPAs and saisons. You're on a good track with the Tomahawk. I do my rye IPA with Zeus (same hop) and willamette.

No offense taken. I brewed a Pliny clone one week and then another the next week, but instead of sugar i added agave. Thus making "Pliny the Mexican". The Pliny was good but the Mexican was head and shoulders better. Better color & more ABV. It started bitter and finished sweet. It has become a regularly brewed beer at my house.

All because i ran out of sugar and didnt want to run to the store... Now agave is a staple in all my stronger beers. :mug:

Ill post more information as the beer ferments. That safale is a workhorse and looks like it has already slowed down (after almost blowing my airlock off) Hopefully it will be ready for opening of abalone season. =)

Dry Hopped. Gravity down to 1.009, dont think its going any lower. I took a sample to my local brewery (Green Hat Brewing) and the owner handed me a growler and said "FILL IT" LOL. This beer is going to be a great one!

JoeBronco said:
No offense taken. I brewed a Pliny clone one week and then another the next week, but instead of sugar i added agave. Thus making "Pliny the Mexican". The Pliny was good but the Mexican was head and shoulders better. Better color & more ABV. It started bitter and finished sweet. It has become a regularly brewed beer at my house.

All because i ran out of sugar and didnt want to run to the store... Now agave is a staple in all my stronger beers. :mug:

Ill post more information as the beer ferments. That safale is a workhorse and looks like it has already slowed down (after almost blowing my airlock off) Hopefully it will be ready for opening of abalone season. =)

Haha Pliny the Mexican. That's awesome

Back