Feedback on my IIPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthBound

Reaction score
I came up with this recipe, and I'd like to know what you think.

Amount Item Type % or IBU

30.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.7 %
1.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %

1.50 oz Chinook [11.20%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 22.7 IBU
1.50 oz Chinook [11.20%] (60 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
2.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.60%] (45 min) Hops 41.1 IBU
2.00 oz Williamette [4.00%] (15 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
2.00 oz Williamette [4.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

with your system, what kind of OG are you shooting for with this? I love Chinook for bittering, columbus for flavor...never done Wlliamette for aroma but would be a good choice. Do you use brewing software? If so, what's the BU:IBU on this bad boy?

I'd personally do a 151F mash for 60min with a 170F mashout for 10min.

with your system, what kind of OG are you shooting for with this? I love Chinook for bittering, columbus for flavor...never done Wlliamette for aroma but would be a good choice. Do you use brewing software? If so, what's the BU:IBU on this bad boy?

I'd personally do a 151F mash for 60min with a 170F mashout for 10min.

Because I'll be fly sparging, I'm expecting at least 75% efficiency on this, yielding an OG of 1.086. I'm using Beer Smith. It should have about 93 IBUs.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I've haven't used Williamette for aroma, nor can I think of a time that I've heard about somebody doing it.

I would move your columbus to 30 and add some more additions of it in the 0-15 min range...I love the flavor of columbus. Williamette is a nice twist in my opinion.

Seems like a lot of specialty malt for a DIPA...but thats just me. I've always been one to prefer simplicity in an IPA.

I would move your columbus to 30 and add some more additions of it in the 0-15 min range...I love the flavor of columbus. Williamette is a nice twist in my opinion.

Seems like a lot of specialty malt for a DIPA...but thats just me. I've always been one to prefer simplicity in an IPA.

I also love the flavor of columbus and simplicity in an IPA. However, that twist is exactly what I'm going for. I haven't used Williamette for flavor and aroma, so I was wondering if anyone else has.

I'm going for a malty profile to balance out the hoppy profile; so, when people drink it, they'll of course notice how hoppy it is but be pleased with the balance from the malt.

I've used Williamette in my Bitters and as a keg hop (1 oz whole for 5 gallons). Really gives a nice earthy spice character (IMHO). Reading this thread, I'm thinking a lot more about the Chinook and Williamette combo. It sounds like it will make a well rounded, not too sharp/citrusy IPA. Also, the yeast choice will make a huge contribution - WLP007/Dry English is my top choice right now.

EarthBound - what are you thinking in terms of yeast?

I just used American Ale I yeast because I know that it doesn't really impart much flavor. I wanted this because I need to know what the Williamette does as a flavor/aroma hop in conjunction with the Chinook/Columbus bittering. I suggest trying the dry english though, as it would balance with the sweetness of the grain bill.

I love Willamette for flavoring/late additions, really gives a nice finishing aroma and flavor, usually very clean are somewhat earthy. Used 2 oz late additions for a bourbon county stout recipe that is currently in primary with oak, bourbon and a vanilla bean, we'll see how that turns out.

I just tapped this a couple nights ago, and it's the best IIPA that I have made.

This will be the first of my recipes to be posted in the recipe database. :mug:

Back