Feedback on Beer and Cheese Menu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for feedback on a Beer and Cheese menu I'm working on for an upcoming dinner with some friends.

Sorry for the attachment, but these are my work in progress notes, and I couldn't get it to format easily on the forum.

Thanks!

Not sure about your IPA and blue cheese, I don't think the IPA is strong enough to stand up to a blue cheese - an extremely strong flavor.
My first choice would absolutely be Sprecher Black Bavarian which is a Kulmbacher style Black Lager ... very heavy and smokey. Otherwise I'd go with a heavy porter or stout.

The chevre and the other goat cheese both sound good with the Lambic ... the Orville maybe too, but I can't put the Orville and goat cheese together in my mind - so not sure on that one.
Besides the Lambic my other first choice would definitely be Hoegaarden.
Actually I might pair both of those two beers (the Lambic and the Hoegaarden) with the chevre so guests could compare.

For the IPA I'd look at a good, very sharp white cheddar. That smoked chedder you mentioned might do it if you've already bought it.

A couple cheese recommendations ...

Another cheese for a strong porter or maybe a stout ... Limburger.
Limburger smells as awful as it tastes wonderful ... and it smells absolutely awful. I would absolutely include Limburger cheese. Actually, IF you've already spent the money on the Rauchbier you might try that with the Limburger though I really suspect it is not quite the heavyweight needed.

Finally, one other cheese I'd be interested to include ... Pecorino Romano. A salty sheeps cheese. I'd put this with a lighter beer ... I'd go with Reissdorf Kolsch with it's crisp grainy sweetness and just very slight phenolic overtones.

On the bud and singles ... why waste a combination just for the sake of taking a swipe at american cheese and beer? Put the Budweiser back in the horse.
If you want ... serve a more pricey "American Cheese" from behind the deli counter... and as the "american beer" I'd go with Coors as it has the least amount of corn/cereal/rice in it (supposedly) (verses other "adjunct" lagers/beers).

Back