Feedback for my 2 vessel eRims system design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aphanson17

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm looking to make the switch to a 2 vessel eRims system and drew up some designs. If you could provide any feedback for the system that would be great.

I normally brew 2.5 - 5 gallon batches so the system will be running a 2000w element in the BK and Rims tube. Here are some images of what I am planning.

Semi-Automated Brewery (Step 1).jpg

Semi-Automated Brewery (Step 2).jpg

Semi-Automated Brewery (Step 3).jpg

Semi-Automated Brewery (Step 4).jpg

Semi-Automated Brewery (Step 5).jpg

Semi-Automated Brewery (Step 6).jpg

Let me know what you think. Thanks a lot.

A vertical, or angled mount RIMS tube is much less likely to have problems with air entrapment compared to a horizontal mount. Air in the RIMS tube can lead to dry firing (portions of) the element. Flow should be from the bottom to the top.

Brew on :mug:

A vertical, or angled mount RIMS tube is much less likely to have problems with air entrapment compared to a horizontal mount. Air in the RIMS tube can lead to dry firing (portions of) the element. Flow should be from the bottom to the top.

Agreed. I also discovered more localized heating in a horizontal config, which could cause scorching areas.

I like it. Process you have looks good. Two vessel systems rock!

Are you not going to do a sparge?

Thanks BrunDog. I've read through your build a few times and it's awesome. I got some of my design from you. I am a software engineer by trade so eventually when I have more time I want to start in on an automated system myself.

I was not planning on doing a sparge, just starting with the full water amount. I BIAB right now, so it'll be very similar that way. Have you tried sparge vs. no sparge with you 2 vessel set up?

Thanks for this information! That's something I had not thought of. I'll change to a vertical mount.

Thanks BrunDog. I've read through your build a few times and it's awesome. I got some of my design from you. I am a software engineer by trade so eventually when I have more time I want to start in on an automated system myself.

I was not planning on doing a sparge, just starting with the full water amount. I BIAB right now, so it'll be very similar that way. Have you tried sparge vs. no sparge with you 2 vessel set up?

Sparge vs. no sparge has well understood efficiency differences. Whether to sparge or not is a trade off between process simplicity vs. using more grain for the same SG. Decision is personal preference, and there is no wrong answer.

No Sparge vs Sparge big beers ratio.png

Thanks. No, I haven't done no-sparge, especially since I put a lot of effort into the direct sparge system. I would expect a 10% efficiency difference, inline with doug's chart.

Why use the RIM's tube? I've got the same set up I just do full volume recirculation from brew kettle to mash tun. Then drain everything when done to boil kettle. I use gravity though and have mash tun above boil kettle.

Why use the RIM's tube? I've got the same set up I just do full volume recirculation from brew kettle to mash tun. Then drain everything when done to boil kettle. I use gravity though and have mash tun above boil kettle.

I thought about this but one thing I wanted to do was make the system very compact and portable. Adding a rims tube seemed to help keep it low profile. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Good looking system, great job. Love the simplicity and compactness. One thing to keep in mind is that during the initial wort cooling stage, that ice water in the cooler is probably going to last all of five minutes. You might be better off running groundwater from a hose directly through the IC for the initial cooling, and then switch to the ice water to bring it down to pitching temps.

I also have a 2-vessel system. I use the BK as the RIMS heater, It works great to control mash temps. It does require a 2nd pump though. check it out here.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=589650
For 10 gallon batches, I sparge with filtered tap water at whatever temp it happens to be. I don't believe sparge water temp really mattters, except it cools your collected wort a bit requiring a few extra minutes to get to boiling. I've heard Michael Tonsmire say he also sparges cold.

Latest posts

Back