Favorite Yeast Bay Strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
So now that these strains have been making the rounds for about a year, what are the favorites? Any that you keep coming back to? Or did you mostly use them as experimental one-offs and move on?

I've used 2 so far. I haven't been able to drink either of them yet.
The Saison Blend is going to be bottled this weekend.
The Farmhouse Sour is sitting for another couple months.

Only used the Northeastern Abbey myself, but it produced a very nice Belgian Pale that I made for my brother's wedding rehearsal dinner.

Both of mine are in the fermentor still, but I really like the sample of the farmhouse sour I just had.

So far I have 10 gallons going of a 1L starter of Lacto Brevis into each for 4 days at 85F then pitched 1.5L starter of Amalgamation into each and has been sitting for 3 weeks now at around 72F. I'll probably taste it in another couple weeks and see how it goes.
I also just ordered their funktown, wallonian, sour farmhouse, brett saison blend and melange that I can't wait to put to use!
I'll report back when I taste them!

Just bottled the Saison Blend. It fermented in the mid-hi 60's. That brought the spicy character forward for sure. It finished at 1.008. Flocculation is low.

Saison blend + brett for sure! One of the best beers I've made and it got a blue ribbon.
The Dry Belgian Ale is also great, just be careful as it's an attenuation animal.
I thought the Wallonian Farmhouse was OK but I only made one beer with it so take it for what it's worth.

I've used their saison Brett blend twice now and will be coming back to it again, so that one definitely gets my vote. Funktown was pretty awesome too. I liked wallonian farmhouse but I'm thinking i fermented it to low (66-68) as the flavor profile was pretty mild.

The Wallonian Farmhouse for sure, after 1 batch it became my house Saison strain. Very unique complexity and super easy to work with, without having to ramp up a warm ferment.

The Lochristi and Beersel Brett Blends have got about 3-4 repitches since the spring for me as well.

I'll pile on to the Saison Brett blend as well. I recently bottled a saison with it that was aged on oak and dry hopped with mosaic and its really wonderful.

I've used amalgamation in a 100% brett IPA as well that came out nicely -- super fruity.

Back