Favorite Winter Warmer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drays14

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm starting to plan out the winter warmer style ale for the winter. I've brewed about 20 batches and no winter warmer yet. I remember last year I really enjoyed Harpoons Winter Warmer and I've seen there is a BYO clone. But after looking at it, it just seems like a lot of crystal malts with some cinnamon and nutmeg. I also just brewed a pumpkin ale which obviously added some cinnamon and nutmeg as well so I'm worried that the tastes will be somewhat similar.

What are some of your favorite winter ales that are not stouts and porters? (I'll be brewing those too)

I always liked Sam Smiths winter warmer, forget what it was called exactly

winter-wheat-bio.png

Sooooo goooooood...

Heh, I was literally just looking for an Anchor WW recipe, and can't find one!

I'd really love to brew that one. It's not a spiced beer or anything like that, but it's really, really good. I can't wait for it to come back around this winter!

I made one last year, i didn't get a chance to age many unfortunately (recipe is at home also :( booo to me) the last bottle i had tasted like chocolate covered rum balls, it was fantastic.
Made almost a strong scotch ale base with a bunch of mt hood hops at the end. was about 8-9%. Then put about 1/2 a 1/5th of rum and soaked 4oz of orange peel in a mason jar. Added that into secondary and started drinking it about a month later... was great right away but after a few months it was epic.
need to make that one again...
but it was mostly NW pale, some special B, 4-6oz of a light chocolate, a bit of lighter crystal.

Back