Favorite Place to buy Green Coffee Beans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klr

Reaction score
I have been getting beans from Ebay but recently got burned and would like to try to find a source outside of ebay that still has good prices for 20-25lb bulk purchases.

Suggestions?

I actually handle sales & marketing for a "little" roaster in Lancaster PA. We're not set up as a green seller, really, but do occasionally sell to home roasters... The owner is pretty good with pricing. We have some excellent Guatemalan beans, some very good Sumatra, Colombia, Brazil, Ethiopia... www.GerhartCoffee.com to give you an idea of variety. Once you know what you want call in and ask for Darrel (owner) who prices green sales based on his replacement costs. Cheers!

Look for a near by place that roasts coffee. I buy my green beans from the from a local coffee business down the road. Not paying for shipping and supporting local economy are just a bonus.

For bulk green coffee - The Coffee Shrub is hands down your best bet. No 2 ways about it. You can buy full grain pro bags of serous quality beans for very reasonable prices.

Sweet Maria's is the #1/best site for the traditional home roaster.

Roastmasters is my 2nd favorite "standard" site.

Klatch is a larger 3rd wave roaster that also sells green coffee. It's a little pricey, but always very high quality.

The Green Coffee Buying Club (GCBC) is a great cooperative that occasionally sources some really nice stuff. Their prices are always quite reasonable.

I have been buying mine from Java Bean Plus. I haven't roasted anything but Colombian for a long time. Their price on it has been very good.

For bulk green coffee - The Coffee Shrub is hands down your best bet. No 2 ways about it. You can buy full grain pro bags of serous quality beans for very reasonable

Do you think it would be worth doing a group buy after shipping is figured on a pro bag? Say split it five ways and ship the 20 lb sacks off via usps flat rate?

Do you think it would be worth doing a group buy after shipping is figured on a pro bag? Say split it five ways and ship the 20 lb sacks off via usps flat rate?

If it is something exceptional, absolutely. I don't mind paying a little extra for really good stuff though. If I hear of one that totally rocks - I'll let you know and maybe we can see if there is enough interest. I'd be primarily interested in Ethiopian, Kenyan or possibly a good Columbian micro-lot.

A little late to the party, in the past I have used Burman's with great success, but now I buy nearly all my greens from Happy Mug Coffee. Not as much selection as some places but it is high quality at a great price with excellent service...

I just started roasting my own beans. I think the first google search for green coffee beans came up Deans Beans. I've been buying from that website since. Good flavors and comments on how to roast and what can come out of it. I just need more experience in the roasting. The coffee tastes better when i roast it just as the beer tastes better if i brew it.

Also i'm not sure if Deans Beans is the cheapest. A 1 pound bag is 5-6 dollars and parcel shipping is 8 dollars. Its all organic, fair trade and kosher so that is cool but i haven't tried any other company.

^$5-6/lb is average for decent quality and that shipping is fair.

Sweet Maria's is the flagship green coffee store for home roasters. Their prices are very similar and I'm sure their quality is as good or better.

Ordered 5 lbs of coffee from Burman's and am looking forward to experimenting with it. I'll likely make a coffee stout with some of the grounds. Do you guys usually just add grounds to the mash?

Ordered 5 lbs of coffee from Burman's and am looking forward to experimenting with it. I'll likely make a coffee stout with some of the grounds. Do you guys usually just add grounds to the mash?

General recommendation is to put it in secondary, or to use cold brew.

cold brew is easily my favorite way to go.

what type/origin of coffee did you get? certain origins don't work well with beer in my experience.

You do not want to boil coffee, bitterness;)
cold brew is easily my favorite way to go.

what type/origin of coffee did you get? certain origins don't work well with beer in my experience.

What origins do you stay away from?

Peruvian, Brazilian and Honduran

I just finished drinking a pound of this Brazilian bean and I will say that some mornings it was pure nirvana for me. I'm almost reluctant to tell you since I'm going to buy a bunch more and I don't want their supply to run out.

Brazil Tres Vizinhos Peaberry

I just finished drinking a pound of this Brazilian bean and I will say that some mornings it was pure nirvana for me. I'm almost reluctant to tell you since I'm going to buy a bunch more and I don't want their supply to run out.

Brazil Tres Vizinhos Peaberry

haha i just ordered two pounds of that one, and i'm looking forward to trying it. Typically spend about $16 a pound for locally roasted coffee, so it'll be nice to see that cut almost into a third at home.

You do not want to boil coffee, bitterness;)

What origins do you stay away from?

For beer, I'd steer clear of anything acidic. Kenyans, guat's, Burundi, etc. probably easier to list what I would suggest: Yemen is head and shoulders above the rest for suggestions. Without going into detail, it possesses several qualifiers which which would mesh well with darker beers. They are expensive so if you're serious I can expand.

Secondly I'd probably suggest a Papua New Guinea or Sumatra. Both are similar and are nearly defunct of acidity. They both are known for their earthy traits but can also display some muted fruity characteristics. The PNG would be a serious sleeper for a sour coffee ale!!!!!

Lastly I'd probably suggest a Brazilian or Jamaica Blue Mountain/Kona. The latter is totally garbage coffee much like Brazilian but they all pack a nice milk choc. punch. Since they are all low grown acidity is non-existent. These coffees may be garbage for drip, but they are great for stouts & additions to an espresso blend

Definitely some new sources I'm going to check out from this thread. I've been buying from Burman and the prices have been good and the beans decent, but pretty much the same stuff most of the time. Prices usually a little better than sweet maria's.

I looked locally but all seem to be selling roasted (not green) beans. bummer.

For beer, I'd steer clear of anything acidic. Kenyans, guat's, Burundi, etc. probably easier to list what I would suggest: Yemen is head and shoulders above the rest for suggestions. Without going into detail, it possesses several qualifiers which which would mesh well with darker beers. They are expensive so if you're serious I can expand.

Secondly I'd probably suggest a Papua New Guinea or Sumatra. Both are similar and are nearly defunct of acidity. They both are known for their earthy traits but can also display some muted fruity characteristics. The PNG would be a serious sleeper for a sour coffee ale!!!!!

Lastly I'd probably suggest a Brazilian or Jamaica Blue Mountain/Kona. The latter is totally garbage coffee much like Brazilian but they all pack a nice milk choc. punch. Since they are all low grown acidity is non-existent. These coffees may be garbage for drip, but they are great for stouts & additions to an espresso blend

If you wouldn't mind going into what you like about the Yemen coffee I'm listening, I've yet to buy any but more then willing.
Coffee is yet another rabbit hole :D

Surprised no one has mentioned Happy Mug.

I've been using them - great cs and ships quickly.

http://www.happymugcoffee.com/

First I've heard of them. Thanks.

Also: I drive by on 55 every day for work. Been in chicago for a couple months, still haven't hit up any breweries here. Any recommendatons for breweries with food, brewpubs, taprooms, or particularly good craft bars?

I've had some luck on Amazon but it all depends on who your getting it from and the grower. Also if you have any local coffee shops that do their own roasting you could ask them where they get theirs if you like their coffee. I've had good luck with that with my local shop.

I've had good luck talking to the roasters, they usually let me grab a few pounds of their green coffee for pretty cheap.

Just saw this pop up.... old thread coming to life. I have been getting my beans from Happy Mug Coffee for 6 years. I'm maybe not the most discerning coffee snob but for my taste buds their coffee beans seem to be consistantly good and they ship quickly.

I use a Behmor roaster

I buy from a mix of places depending upon what I'm after and whether I am buying for just myself or buying to roast for other people as well. Shop from Sweet Maria's, Burman, Happy Mug, Green Coffee Buying Club and some of the larger commercial distributors on rare occasion.

Back