Favorite part of brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riderkb

Reaction score
My favorite part of brew day is just before the wort comes to a boil. The stuck sparges and temperature adjustments are over and it is all down hill. The smell of the malt is also at its peak. The foam rising up in the kettle looks cool, too.

If I had to pick a "favorite" part, then it would be when the boil is occurring.

I have the timer running and the hop additions labeled.

Kick back and observe the world pass me by and occasionally be brought back to reality when the timer signals.
The first homebrew sits in the glass next to me (I have discovered that I make fewer mistakes if I wait and drink the beer) and I feel like I am truly able to relax for a bit.

The other bittersweet moment is when the cleanup is done. I am happy and sad.;)

Taking a sample as it goes into the fermentor. I like to know how well the brew day went and getting that first taste to know all went well

To me the boil is when the work begins...additions, start sanitizing everything, chill wort, transfer etc. love it all!

Setting up! The anticipation of the fun brew day ahead.

And after the cleanup has been completed and I can focus on the drinking while reflecting on the day.

My favorite part would be the fact that it's totally acceptable for me to start drinking at 5 in the morning. But by 8 I'm usually drinking coffee. It's just the first 1 or 2 F@%k it, its 5 am and I'm drinkin beer(s).:ban:

When my brew partner shows up at 7 and we start milling. I know at that point I get to split the work and it will be a smoother day!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

At the end of the second runnings, when i check my volume and gravity. That's when I know if I'm on the money

The boil. That's when the house starts to fill with the amazing smells of homebrewing.

The mash in smells, the boil smells, the planning, the prep all are smile worthy. But for me the best part is the first CO2 bubble in the blow off jug. I'm 52 and been brewing a while now but somehow the "magic" never ceases to amaze me.

I think the mash and starting the boil. The mash because it's the first thing to get right, hitting mash temp. The boil because then I have hit all my numbers, solved any issues that have come up, and get a bit of a break until the end of the boil. Kyle

For me it's definitely when I take my O.G. reading as I"m siphoning to the fermenter. It's at that point that I see if all the work was worth it

Back