Favorite malty yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echeck

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been brewing for a few months now. I have done 6 batches, all with wlp 001. The beers have all turned out good, but I am looking for a different yeast that might accentuate the malt a bit more in porters, browns, stouts and maybe even ipa's. I have been looking at some different yeasts, all sound pretty good, I was just wondering if there are some favorites out there. Some of the ones I have been looking at are wlp 002, wlp 005, wlp 007, Denny's fav 1450, and ring wood. Any one of these stand out more then others to you?

Thanks,
Chris

Edinburgh can give a super malty flavor - maybe too much for what you're planning? Denny's is awesome. I've really been happy with that strain.

I'm planning an India brown ale, but also would like a different house style yeast for some Russian stouts and porters

Check out 1272 and I think Bell's distributes in FL so maybe bottle harvest some yeast out of Oberon bottles?

For dry yeast, S-04 is great, and cheap too.

For liquid yeast, 1968 London ESB is malty as hell.

I'm more and more coming to the conclusion that you can make pretty much any beer with S-04 and S-05, though. Just sayin'.

I really like Denny's Favorite 50 (1450) and I'm liking Wyeast 1335 also. It's an English strain, but without fruity flavors that can be present in most English strains.

Back