Favorite English Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatnoah

Reaction score
What are your favorite English yeast strains? I tried 1968 and was very disappointed. I've read that S-04 is not very reliable. I'm looking for a go to English strain that can handle my stouts, porters, and ESBs. I've got the Belgian and American thing down but not sure where to go on the English.

I rather like S-04 on the dry side of things. It has done quite well for me on both ESB and stout. Pitch/begin at 64*F. Let it slowly rise to 68*F after the first week and it will be good. I certainly prefer it to Windsor.

I use 1968 and like it, but it isn't nearly as temperature forgiving as S-04. I'll start it at 64*F, but not run it there for more than 2-3 days before letting it come up to 66*F and then 68*F over the next few days. It's such a high floc strain that it can prematurely fall out and not fully attenuate if kept too cool for too long. The nice thing is that, when I cold crash it later, it forms a super-firm cake (like cottage cheese) that is hard to disturb when racking to the bottling bucket.

My favourites are wy1318 london 3 or wy1968 london esb. Both put out some great "english" esters and drop clear. Lately I've been more into wy1318 as wy1968 doesn't repitch well, can have diacetyl issues and sometimes does weird things with bottle conditioning. wy1318 can be a little finicky when fermenting, sometimes needing rousing but is a fantastic top cropper.

read this thread for everything you want to know about english yeasts https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/b...on-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/

Who ever said anything about S-04 being "unreliable?" That I've never heard. I don't particularly care for the flavor, but it seems as reliable as any other yeast.

That said, I tend to prefer 1318 and 1028. 1318 is well balanced and very forgiving of temp changes, and 1028 is a real workhorse with a very interesting profile. Tannic, almost. I like it. It's drier than 1318, so each has their place. I've been meaning to try the West Yorkshire yeast, but haven't gotten around to it for some reason. By all accounts, it's another one to consider.

I've been meaning to try the West Yorkshire yeast, but haven't gotten around to it for some reason. By all accounts, it's another one to consider.

I think the 1469 west yorkie is one of the most overrated yeasts. The only reason it went from being a seasonal to a regular offering is Jamil raves about it. I don't like the weird green apple fruitiness and that it can't decide whether it wants to floc out or blow out. It was one of the yeasts that made me swear off of seasonals and just stick with the london 3 and london esb

WL007 works fast and flocks like a brick. It's only down side is it's missing some of the esters that I enjoy. I always have some in the freezer.

Thanks for the input. The problem I had with 1968 is that it flocked out before it was done and I couldn't get it going again. I'd like something that doesn't drop out so fast if the temp drops a degree or two. I have pretty good temp control with my cool brewing setup but apparently not good enough for 1968.

one of the strains I use often is Wyeast 1335. It drops clear, tastes "cleaner" than something like s04 (which I do not like any more) and finishes fairly dry and crisp. I even use it for some American style IPAs, because I love the finish.

I've used it in stout, English IPA, mild, and quite a few APAs and IPAs. Good strain, and without the minerally character that some of the English strains have.

The problem I had with 1968 is that it flocked out before it was done and I couldn't get it going again.

Yeah, once 1968 drops out, good luck getting it back into suspension again via gently swirling the bucket. You pretty much forced to gently stir it off the bottom with a sanitized spoon.

Latest posts

Back