Favorite Brand of Coffee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What's your favorite brand? They just released the Gevalia line in our market so I've been going nuts on it.

Gevalia is nice. I got a Capresso machine for xmas, so Ive been trying a lot of different espresso roasts. Lavazza is currently tops, and a good value

When we were in Negril I got hooked on Jamaican Blue Mountain..... But you have to be a Drug Kingpin to be able to afford it! My fall back is Starbuck's Sumatra.....

We have a small roaster in our town - I should say an 'artisan' roaster. All organic, all fairly traded, never over roasted like a certain Moby Dick character always over roasts :) cafecampesino.com ... excellent coffee!

I love, love, loved Cafe Vita when I lived in Seattle. Still have it shipped to me sometimes. Here in Denver we usually get our beans from Pablo's. Good stuff.

For locally available commercially roasted either Caribou Coffee or Dunn Brothers. 8 O'Clock 100% Columbian used to be pretty good relatively inexpensive bean but haven't had any for a while. Probably shouldn't rag on other brands but jcan't do Starbucks beans; just seems like one roast level, "Charbucks".

I've had some of the Gevalia too. As I recall it was OK.

Small batch roasting various beans from Sweet Maria's now though. Good stuff, Maynard.

North east Wisconsin; it's Seroogy's. They roast their own on premises. They make their own chocolate too. Great stuff!

My brother brings this back from Maui every time he comes back to the mainland:

kona_coffee.jpg

I got hooked on Gevalia, while I was in Sweden (It's like their Folgers over there). I mostly roast my own now, but I've been known to pick up the coffee at IKEA for my backup coffe. Also, the Sumatra from Costco is pretty good.

I'm a big fan of Starbuck's, especially their Sumatra, and we've been alternating in Counter Culture and Stumptown. 15 oz of brewed Counter Culture Toscano is in my Redhook Double Black Stout III. I & II had Starbuck's Espresso. They have all been very good.

I had a Gevalia subscription for a year in the mid-90's. It was good for then, but I think it has been surpassed by the new roasters. For anybody living in Austin;), that includes Whole Foods, or in Decatur, GA, Dekalb Farmers Market.

Just like beer, the number one ingredient is water. That's why Starbuck's trucks in their own water. Don't brew coffee in water that you wouldn't brew beer with.

99% of the coffee I really like I roast myself (but there is a bag of 8-oclock in my cupboard for backup. NO JUDGING!!)

For commercially available roasted fodder, the best that I've had is from a tiny roaster in the town where my brother in law lives in Kentucky. Kifu Coffee Roasters: http://www.kifubeans.com

He usually sends a bag of central/latin american beans around Christmas time - exact varietal varies from year to year, but it's always phenomenal. They use an Ambex computer controlled small batch drum roaster, and the owner has it dialed in perfectly.

My favorite coffee comes from a local mom-n-pop coffee shop. They label it as Peruvian Fair Trade Organic. It is intensely dark and the beans look as if they are shiny wet with resinous oils. After trying just about every brand of high-end coffees coming and going I have stuck with this Peruvian stuff from this shop for over a year now. It is simply the best of the best. It's a bit pricey at $14.50 a lb, but it is worth every red cent.

My wife is one of those few people whom hates the smell of coffee. However, she says she loves the aroma of this coffee. Win-win!

Caribou coffee.

This week 12 pack K Cups of Eight O Clock are going for $4.29 at a local grocery store so I picked up a few of those.

But mostly Caribou bulk packs from Sam's Club.

Eight O'clock 100% Colombian or French Roast. Once in a great, great while I'll pick up something that looks interesting as a treat but 99% of the time that's what's in my coffee maker.

Don't know if the coffee we have at work (a restaurant) is actually available to anyone else, I've heard that it's our own special roast - but whatever it is, I wouldn't suggest it if it is. Someone referred to Starbucks as "Charbucks," you'd never be able to stand a cup of the stuff where I work if you think Starbucks is over roasted. And most of the people really like it, that's what gets me.

I stock up the freezer when 8 O'Clock goes on sale at the grocer .. "buy one get one". Put it in a freezer zip lock bag for storage. When needed .. give it a fresh course grind in the coffee grinder .. and into the French Press .. and make it strong. As good as .. anything expensive that I try.

Way back when, I used to roast my own. Well, I didn't really 'roast' them. I cooked them on my stove top, shaking them in a cast iron frying pan. With all the doors and windows wide open, of course... coffee beans start smoking when they're close to done, and the smell settles into drapes and carpets like you wouldn't believe. But I've gotten lazy, have significantly less free time than I used to have, and I've lost my sense of shame.

My favorite coffee is whichever of two brands of espresso happens to be on sale at my local supermarket. For the life of me I can't remember their names; one comes in a yellow can and the other in a green can.

Of course, nowadays I make my morning caffeine fix strong enough to crawl out of the cup, then add a good jolt of instant hot cocoa mix to it. So any nuances would probably be lost on me anyway....

When I'm on the road and hit a convenience store that has a powdered 'cappuccino' setup, I usually start with a shot of hot chocolate. Then I fill my cup to the halfway mark with English toffee if it's available, French vanilla if it isn't, and finish it out with brewed dark roast coffee (or regular, if the place doesn't have the dark roast).

An Alaskan I knew on another forum always referred to anything besides straight black coffee as 'foo-foo' coffee; he used to make me feel like I should be donning a tutu while I sipped my morning libation. :D

Eight O'clock 100% Colombian or French Roast. Once in a great, great while I'll pick up something that looks interesting as a treat but 99% of the time that's what's in my coffee maker.

Don't know if the coffee we have at work (a restaurant) is actually available to anyone else, I've heard that it's our own special roast - but whatever it is, I wouldn't suggest it if it is. Someone referred to Starbucks as "Charbucks," you'd never be able to stand a cup of the stuff where I work if you think Starbucks is over roasted. And most of the people really like it, that's what gets me.

I like a dark roast coffee on occasion and relatively strong coffee, but not strong coffee made from burnt roast. :)

Don't tell anybody .. but I put the Aldi big red can "Classic Roast ..33.9oz .. $5.49" .. in the French Press .. make it strong ... and can pass if off as "the good stuff".

Tully's house blend for drip coffee. For espresso we use Evans brothers which is locally roasted, organic, single source, blah blah blah. I typically just use a medium roast since I like the balance of flavor to caffeine.

I love in Los Angeles and there is a coffee shop/roasters called tierra Mia they have the best beans ever.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Tim Horton's!!! Damn those Canucks can make some good coffee! :mug:

Too bad the nearest one to me is a couple hours away. I buy their ground coffee, and it never turns out the same as a fresh cup at Timmy's.

I've tried a bunch, Gevalia, Peet's, Dunkin Donuts, etc.

What I've found is that the biggest difference is caused by freshly grinding the beans, and using a French press. Doing those two things gives me a consistently good cup of coffee regardless of the provenance of the beans.

YMMV

A really nice mellow "nutty" coffee is Trader Joes New Mexico Pinon Coffee. It is decidedly not a high end deal. It is preground and it is not a dark roast, but it the slight nut-like / hazelnut flavor is something I like. It is a cheap, but decent change of pace coffee.

For the last 5 years or so we've been ordering coffee from a place in Alaska, Kaladi brothers coffee. Love their Big Wild Life and Kaladi Cafe. All organic, great blends and great roasting. Shipping is comparable to most anywhere else, and it's usually at my door in 2-3 days.

http://www.kaladi.com/

I am so spoiled here in Milwaukee because we have a really good local roasting company that has awesome coffee and cafes all over town - Collectivo, formerly known as Alterra. http://colectivocoffee.com/

I stopped at the roasting facility yesterday to grab a pound. My favorite seat in the house is where you can watch the guys running the big roasters.

Way back when, I used to roast my own. Well, I didn't really 'roast' them. I cooked them on my stove top, shaking them in a cast iron frying pan. With all the doors and windows wide open, of course... coffee beans start smoking when they're close to done, and the smell settles into drapes and carpets like you wouldn't believe. But I've gotten lazy, have significantly less free time than I used to have, and I've lost my sense of shame.

My favorite coffee is whichever of two brands of espresso happens to be on sale at my local supermarket. For the life of me I can't remember their names; one comes in a yellow can and the other in a green can.

Of course, nowadays I make my morning caffeine fix strong enough to crawl out of the cup, then add a good jolt of instant hot cocoa mix to it. So any nuances would probably be lost on me anyway....

When I'm on the road and hit a convenience store that has a powdered 'cappuccino' setup, I usually start with a shot of hot chocolate. Then I fill my cup to the halfway mark with English toffee if it's available, French vanilla if it isn't, and finish it out with brewed dark roast coffee (or regular, if the place doesn't have the dark roast).

An Alaskan I knew on another forum always referred to anything besides straight black coffee as 'foo-foo' coffee; he used to make me feel like I should be donning a tutu while I sipped my morning libation. :D

Yellow can? CDM? Do they still make that?

Mmmm nice, beer and coffe, my type of peeps. I have a Crossland CC1 espresso machine and Baratza Preciso, next grinder will pry be the HG-One with that lovely titan burr set lol. I have friends come in and stay or just over in general and they say I've spoiled coffee for them, personally I think places like Charbucks etc suck balls.

Some roasters I like: Fair Mountain Coffe Roasters, Metropolis, Klatch, Stumptown, Red Bird, and bunch of others I'm forgetting. Currently have some El Salvador Red Bourbon beans from an ebay roaster, nothing special as a shot, but great in milk. I like finding more of the unknown smaller roasters. Like Green Roast Coffee in Redondo when we fly into LA and hed to San Diego, too bad they don't ship.

Recent batch of Metropolis Redline was ridiculous, def ordering again. So good and chocolately, even my wife and friends kept asking if I added anything as especially in milk strong chocolate notes came out.

I never buy anything at a store or grocery market, if it has a sell by or use by date... run, all those beans are stale and sitting in bags for 3-12+ months, and generally so far burnt all you taste is nasty roast/ash flavors and not the bean (hence Charbucks, they burn every bean to have consistency, even if that means awful coffee, as they are so large and high volume they use the poorest quality/highest defect beans). Guess I'm a beer snob and coffee snob haha

Back