Fat Tire Clone-not sure what to make of this reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpipes68

Reaction score
Brewed a Fat Tire Clone today. Everything went great, no problems. Then I got this OG reading and the wort doesn't look as dark as I thought it would. Way off, should I be worried?
20190527_164620.jpeg

Fat Tire is a Belgian amber ... so if I remember correctly, around 1.050 OG.
From what I can tell the wort looks 10-15pts off and could do with a dose of 1-2lb. amber extract added if you're doing a 5 gallon brew.
If you ferment at this gravity it will more than likely turn out pale with a lower ABV.

Fat Tire is a Belgian amber ... so if I remember correctly, around 1.050 OG.
From what I can tell the wort looks 10-15pts off and could do with a dose of 1-2lb. amber extract added if you're doing a 5 gallon brew.
If you ferment at this gravity it will more than likely turn out pale with a lower ABV.
I wonder what happened? The only part of the instructions I didnt follow was transfering to the primary fermenter at 110 degrees (because I use a glass carboy), transferred and pitched st 75 degrees. I did add extra water to get myself to a volume where I knew I would get 48 bottles out if it.

I wonder what happened? The only part of the instructions I didnt follow was transfering to the primary fermenter at 110 degrees (because I use a glass carboy), transferred and pitched st 75 degrees. I did add extra water to get myself to a volume where I knew I would get 48 bottles out if it.
Oh well, is what it is. Time to enjoy the rest of the day. Thank you for your comments.
20190527_180542.jpeg

If you added very much water you probably diluted the wort enough to lower the SG.

Likely it'll turn out just fine. Missing your OG is not the end of the world, and thats assuming you missed it. Adding top off water thats not mixed well or taking a warm hydro sample that hasnt been corrected for temperature are prime suspects.

Post your recipe and that'll help troubleshoot.

Likely it'll turn out just fine. Missing your OG is not the end of the world, and thats assuming you missed it. Adding top off water thats not mixed well or taking a warm hydro sample that hasnt been corrected for temperature are prime suspects.

Post your recipe and that'll help troubleshoot.
Fat Tire clone recipe.
20190524_064410.jpeg

How many total pounds of DME, dry malt extract, and steeping grains did you use. Extract is usually pretty close to predicted numbers?

Also, what temp was your hydro sample taken at? If it’s warm you’ll have to correct.

Hydrometer checks should be done pre-boil and post boil to help insure you're close to the correct gravity.
It also gives you an approximation of what your boil-off rate is. If post-boil gravity is higher than expected then a bit of dilution is in order. Too much dilution will lighten the color and lower your ABV.

One reason I like Briess is they tend to give nice data sheets showing expected gravities of their extract when mixed with water. I'm thinking a good set of directions would give about a 35% efficiency with steeping grains and solid gravity numbers with proper water volumes. Scratching my head here, thinking there should be more to this than just dumping the whole mix together in 5 gallons of water after steeping the grains, but that's me. The directions seem a bit sparse on info.

Back