Fat Tire Clone extract too heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbymedic

Reaction score
Hey guys, attached is a photo of the instructions to a fat tire clone i brewed this morning. I started with 5.7 gallons and ended up with 4.2 gallons (?!) The starting gravity, per instructions, should be 1.064 +/-
My starting gravity, after boiling and yeast, was 1.070. Do you think it was so high due to the high boil off?

Thoughts?

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

The higher OG most likely is due to the lower volume of wort which is now at a higher concentration of the fermentables. You could top off to the recipe volume to reduce the OG. Was this recipe for 5 gallons in the fermentor?

...Do you think it was so high due to the high boil off?

Thoughts?

Partially, but if I enter your numbers into the Brewer's Friend Dilution Calculator and bring the total volume to 5 Gallons you only get 1.060, which is a little low. If you dilute to a gravity of 1.064, you get 4.59 gallons.

Either your measurements are off, or there estimated O.G. is off. But there is more at play than simply boil-off.

Edited to add: Ideally, I dilute to my anticipated gravity, rather than my anticipated volume.

Back