Fast souring honey & other simple sugars.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
There has got to be people out there doing this.I cant find any links and i have made similar post. Within the next few weeks i will be "sour mashing" these products along with fruit juices and combos to see what results work best for my needs.
No boil, just hydrated in hot water with lacto culture added added at 90F then held in co2 purged environment until ph drops.
Being that this seems to be the easiest way to possibly sour something its surprising i cant seem to find any post or articles about people doing this.
gonna make me some sipas some sour session meads and i guess a few weisses.

Ok, then you’ll find the article very helpful because you need some non-simple sugars in there. Maltodextrine would be the ingredient of choice, from what I understand about sour mead making.

I don’t think 100% lacto is going to give you the most pleasing flavor without the alcohol fermentation from saccharomyces. But I’m the last person to be an expert as I dislike sours.

Thanks for the link, maltodextrin seems to be a great addition to this project. I basically just want to see what adding heat does to this process the same way people cheat with sour kettling.

Back