Fast Ferment Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobstar76

Reaction score
Is anyone else having blockage issues with the Fast Ferment?
How do you dislodge the yeast so it actually makes its way down to the collection bulb?
I'm on my second batch and it clogged up both times.

Without direct experience with that fermentor... its a design issue without any meaningful workarounds. It's a narrow ball valve, then the butterfly itself takes up some of the little space there is. It's going to clog on all but the lightest brews.
TBH that was the deciding factor for me to get a Catalyst from Craftabrew which has a 3" valve vs the Fast ferments 1". Not trying to show up and thread crap, but I don't think there is much to do about it.

Maybe get the racking arm so you can just rack through that instead of the bottom valve?

Without direct experience with that fermentor... its a design issue without any meaningful workarounds. It's a narrow ball valve, then the butterfly itself takes up some of the little space there is. It's going to clog on all but the lightest brews.
TBH that was the deciding factor for me to get a Catalyst from Craftabrew which has a 3" valve vs the Fast ferments 1". Not trying to show up and thread crap, but I don't think there is much to do about it.

Maybe get the racking arm so you can just rack through that instead of the bottom valve?

I was actually thinking of getting the Catalyst right before I decided on the Fast Ferment. No one else around here carried the Catalyst though :(

I am by no means an expert, but I do own a FastFerment and had the same issue originally..

What worked for me was keeping the valve open from the get go, before even adding the yeast..

Haven’t had an issue since- the yeast works it’s way down to the bottom of the collection ball.

I installed a port about 3 inches from the bottom and I haven’t had to change the collection ball yet since.

When fermentation / aging is complete I transfer to my keg via the port (the yeast / trub / gunk is all below the port and in the collection ball- so no need to ever change it out in my experience) ...

Like I said, I’m no expert by any means but that has worked for me.

My issue has been super-fast fermentation’s. I think that has more to do with temp and yeast though!

Cheers!

I am by no means an expert, but I do own a FastFerment and had the same issue originally..

What worked for me was keeping the valve open from the get go, before even adding the yeast..

Haven’t had an issue since- the yeast works it’s way down to the bottom of the collection ball.

I installed a port about 3 inches from the bottom and I haven’t had to change the collection ball yet since.

When fermentation / aging is complete I transfer to my keg via the port (the yeast / trub / gunk is all below the port and in the collection ball- so no need to ever change it out in my experience) ...

Like I said, I’m no expert by any means but that has worked for me.

My issue has been super-fast fermentation’s. I think that has more to do with temp and yeast though!

Cheers!

Thanks.
I will look into adding a valve like you said. The sad part is that I used a Festa Brew kit so no sludge, no hop particles, the valve was fully open. I found a bunch of threads about how FF screwed up by using such a small ball valve. Did you buy the valve kit from FF or installed your own?

Yeah, they definitely screwed up making it so small... I had issues initially, but I had the valve closed to start, and when I opened it it’d clog.

I watched a few videos from FastFerment and checked out the FAQ. They suggested tapping on the side and waiting for it to eventually fall (anywhere from 1-24 hrs later).

Read elsewhere to sanitize a brew spoon and try to loosen it up, but who wants to introduce oxygen or bacteria in at that stage. Pretty disappointing.

I did end up buying the kit they sell, but honestly, if you have the right size drill bit it’s very easy to do on your own.

You can find the very same generic plastic spigot on Amazon for $5 ... there was nothing special about the “kit” (Just a plastic port, a step bit, and directions on where to drill)...

I put mine roughly 3-4 inches above the threads and so far the gunk line has stayed below.

You don’t lose much product either as it’s narrow that far down and mostly gunk.

Good luck!

I also open the valve to the collection tank from the get go, right at the start of fermentation. I also empty the trub vessel about 2 or 3 days before the end of fermentation and allow remaining trub to settle before emptying one more time when I'm ready to keg. (remember to remove your air lock before opening the valve after reinstalling the vessel) I found that, while I do lose another pint of so of beer, what remains is clearer and I have less waste on the first few taps.

Is anyone else having blockage issues with the Fast Ferment?
How do you dislodge the yeast so it actually makes its way down to the collection bulb?
I'm on my second batch and it clogged up both times.

For what it's wort(h), I've found that gravity wins every time... There have been times i thought that thing was clogged, but I've alway been surprised that all that trub eventually finds its way into the ball.

Patience and gravity .. It's SCIENCE! :fro:

Back