Fast bottle carbonation for a lab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Hi, I have been brewing for years and haven't bottles in over a decade. I was wondering if anyone has experience carbonating bottled beer quickly, like 10 days? My wife is teaching a class about beer and she has a short window to ferment and bottle some beers. I was hoping she could bottle them with priming tabs and keep them pretty warm in an incubator and they would be ready in that time. What temp would I need? I was thinking 75-80 but maybe warmer would be ok? Basically, I want them to carbonate very fast, then crash cool them for a day and then have the students taste them the next days. After that, the beer will not be used so it doesn't have to stay good for very long.

If you've been brewing but not bottling I'd guess you already ruled out force-carbing. If the point of the exercise is just to demonstrate the beautiful transition from flat to fizzy, she can demonstrate the process itself with something faster like Sima... only takes a couple days or so to 'finish'.

Depending on what you ferment in, you COULD have a batch finished and carbonated in a short time frame. My <6.5% ABV batches are ranging about 3 weeks from grain to glass. With 4-5 days to carbonate in conical.

If you just have kegs, the corny keg carbonating lid (from MoreBeer) can get the keg carbonated in a few days (including time to chill the beer in keg). When I was using that, I gave the keg a couple of days to cool down to serving temperature and then 2-4 days to carbonate. Worked very well. Now I'm simply carbonating in fermenter, since I also fill cans directly off fermenter (after filling a keg to serve on tap).

I've not bottle carbonated since mid-2011, when I started kegging.

I convinced her to rearrange her schedule a bit. If she did that, she'd have 10 days at 65-70F and then bottle. Then, they'd get at least 14 days at whatever temp we want, maybe 75F. That should be good for carbonating them, right? Then, we can chill them a couple days and they can sample them. I can't force carb them in this case. there are multiple batches with different strains, etc.

75°F is plenty warm.
That is easily enough time.
Something like a regular IPA or wheat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back