Farmhouse saison recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincolnubrewer

Reaction score
Hi,

This is the third recipe of my summer beers series: I'm looking for advice, tips, and suggestion: I really love the spicy, crisp, and smooth flavor of this type of this beer. My inspiration for this beer is the tank 7. I'm looking to create a similar type of beer with my own twist to it. This will be my first Belgian style beer.

Batch Size: 5.25 gal Style: Saison (16C)
Boil Size: 7.03 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 3.5 SRM Equipment: 10 gallon cooler 11 gallon ss pot
Bitterness: 33.8 IBUs Boil Time: 90 min
Est OG: 1.064 (15.5° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Est FG: 1.013 SG (3.4° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 6.7% Taste Rating: 30.0
Ingredients
7 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Grain 2
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3
2 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 4
0.5 oz Pacific Jade [13.0%] - First Wort Hops 5
0.2 oz Ahtanum [6.0%] - First Wort Hops 6
0.2 oz Ahtanum [6.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 7
0.4 oz Ahtanum [6.0%] - Steep 30 min Hops 8
1 pkgs Belgian Saison I Ale (White Labs #WLP565) Yeast 9
1 pkgs SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T-58) Yeast 10
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Grain 11
Mash at 150f for 60min, 90min boil.

I'm looking for suggestion on type of yeast and fermentation temp range. When to add honey? During boil or add after primary fermentation?

Recipe looks good, a handful of rice hulls is probably enough (which I guess could be 8oz but i dont know). I don't have much experience with T-58 but have plenty with 565, have you used 565 before? As you probably know its a very finicky strain and takes some coddling to get it to dry out, it can stall at 1.020 or so without some temperature control. I would deffinitely mash lower than 150f, 148f mash temp would be a better bet for high fermentablity, you want a dry beer. Nothing worse then a sweet farmhouse beer.

I usually pitch 565 cool ~65F and let it free rise for 2 days then once it starts to reach full krausen I start to ramp the temps up into the mid 70s, as the krausen starts to fall I like to get it into the 80s and continue to ramp into the mid to high 80s (some people go even higher) and hold it there for 2-3 weeks all total. There are easier strains to work with, if you have the time to order have a look at The Yeast Bay's Wallonian Farmhouse its easier to work with and adds a mild earth funk to your beer.

For you honey addition you could add it with 5 mins left in the boil but what I like to do is add sugar at high krausen, it also helps to ramp the temp. Make a little simple sugar mixture with your honey, boil 1-1/2 cups water and add you honey to sanitize. Cool to roughly 100F and add right to your fermenting beer. I like this method for various reasons, including helping ramp the temp by prolonging high krausen and it gives your yeast some time to work on the malt sugars before it gets to the simple sugars, also has resulted in less fusel alcohols for me.

Recipe looks good, a handful of rice hulls is probably enough (which I guess could be 8oz but i dont know). I don't have much experience with T-58 but have plenty with 565, have you used 565 before? As you probably know its a very finicky strain and takes some coddling to get it to dry out, it can stall at 1.020 or so without some temperature control. I would deffinitely mash lower than 150f, 148f mash temp would be a better bet for high fermentablity, you want a dry beer. Nothing worse then a sweet farmhouse beer.

I usually pitch 565 cool ~65F and let it free rise for 2 days then once it starts to reach full krausen I start to ramp the temps up into the mid 70s, as the krausen starts to fall I like to get it into the 80s and continue to ramp into the mid to high 80s (some people go even higher) and hold it there for 2-3 weeks all total. There are easier strains to work with, if you have the time to order have a look at The Yeast Bay's Wallonian Farmhouse its easier to work with and adds a mild earth funk to your beer.

For you honey addition you could add it with 5 mins left in the boil but what I like to do is add sugar at high krausen, it also helps to ramp the temp. Make a little simple sugar mixture with your honey, boil 1-1/2 cups water and add you honey to sanitize. Cool to roughly 100F and add right to your fermenting beer. I like this method for various reasons, including helping ramp the temp by prolonging high krausen and it gives your yeast some time to work on the malt sugars before it gets to the simple sugars, also has resulted in less fusel alcohols for me.

I haven't work with Belgian strains before and I don't have ferm temp control :( I was thinking start off in my basement for several days around 65f in the summer then bringing it up to the garage. It get late afternoon sun on the garage. As far as the honey addition, do you add simple sugars with honey and boil it? I'll definitely look up the yeast you suggest. Thanks

Latest posts

Back