Farmers Market Sales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h0psnobery

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen nano/micro brew for sale at a farmers market or similar event in their state? I live in North Dakota, where it is currently legal to sell non-malted and non-distilled alcoholic products, provided they are brewed in a licensed and state inspected facility. So I'm looking into getting a new license designation for professional nano breweries to be able to sell at events such as a farmers market. Does anyone know of a state that currently allows this? Thanks!

I left out that I would also work towards getting the current law changed. That's why I want to know what states allow this and can read up on their laws and licenses.

NH allows this with all the required red tape and fees. I've toyed with the idea on those cold winter days when things that need doing can't get done.

I don't know of all of the laws of all the states or cities around, of course, but alcohol sales are weirdly regulated.

As an example, in a city in Wisconsin, I saw one of my favorite local brewpubs with their brewery wagon at a farmer's market. The brewpub is fully licensed, and has growler sales.

I went up to it and all they had was soda, and empty growlers. When I asked him why, he said it's against the city ordinance to sell alcohol/beer on the street or in public. But he was showing off empty growlers, that you could buy and then take to the brewery for filling.

Some states allow limited self-distribution for breweries, but others don't even allow nanos to self-distribute, so they have to sell their beer to a distributor and then buy it back to serve in their own taprooms.

It's not just the being a licensed brewery that would be a hurdle- then the laws about sales and distribution come into play. And of course, the whole "sell in public venues" issue.

Generally, wine and cider and mead don't have those same restrictions due to the three-tier distribution system with beer.

Laws are strange. I can sell at my farmstand for consumption on the spot, if licensed of course, but only in 4 oz. glasses and only one per label. So somebody could buy and drink 12 oz. of 3 different beers but not 12 oz. of one beer.

Gluten Free beer, i think might work right? but is that really beer?
Gluten free beer is absolutely beer. Why would you think it wasn't?
I left out that I would also work towards getting the current law changed. That's why I want to know what states allow this and can read up on their laws and licenses.
While I applaud you wanting to change the law, the first step is research on your own. The laws are likely readily available for your reading pleasure on a website. I googled "farmer's market beer laws" and came up with some links.

While I applaud you wanting to change the law, the first step is research on your own.

Google was my first stop, but I want to be thorough. It can get very tedious reading laws, so I'd rather not dig through all that based on some confused reporting by the local news.

I know that this will be no easy task, but I hope to get the help of some other brewers in the state and fellow home brewers that want to take the plunge into the professional world. My biggest concern isn't the work, but the distributors. I've been given the impression that they are very powerful and are the reason so many states laws are confounding for small brewers and those wishing to enter the market.

In Portland, Oregon I see Captured by Porches and Ambacht at farmer's markets selling beer all the time. Captured by Porches also sells beer at food cart pods sometimes. You can look up the Oregon and Portland alcohol regulations online.

Back