False bottoms in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trauts

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a brew kettle to streamline part of my process.

For winemaking, is a false bottom useful?

I'm thinking:
1) add the campden in the brew kettle
2) leave it in the brew kettle (w/ lid on) until it's time to take the fruit out
3) rather than taking fruit out, simply rely on the false bottom to hold back the fruit as i transfer the rest into a corny keg for the rest of primary

That seems a looot easier than trying to fit a bag full of fruit in a keg, and a false bottom seems like it might negate the need for the bag in the first place.

Or should i just put it in a bag like usual (i didn't have a big enough pot before), meaning that a false bottom doesn't have a value add?

Thanks!

While I would agree that using a kettle with false bottom (needs to all be stainless with no aluminum or copper) for your primary fermentation would allow you to easily separate your wine from your fruit, you are going to run into the problem that the remaining fruit will still contain a LOT of wine in its flesh that can be pressed out. I'm not sure you are going to avoid putting the fruit into bag.

Back