False bottom open design %

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfitz

Reaction score
I'm looking at finishing up my mash tun and wonder what preferences people find in regard to a % of opening to their false bottom. The false bottom I'm considering is the one offered by AIH for a keg @ 19% opening. Any thoughts?

I'm looking at finishing up my mash tun and wonder what preferences people find in regard to a % of opening to their false bottom. The false bottom I'm considering is the one offered by AIH for a keg @ 19% opening. Any thoughts?

From what I've read the ideal false bottom - for a kettle or mash tun at least - is 2mm holes with 30% open space, I myself am wondering if 40% is too much but I imagine 19% is too little.

If you email sellers like Northern Brewer asking then they should give you a clear idea of what would be the ideal false bottom for your keg.

Anywhere from 6-30%. A lot depends on the construction and design. The more open the greater the runoff speed, but also you may have difficulty clarifying the wort. Generally wedgewire can be more open than perforated.

Whatever is commonly sold to homebrewers is probably fine.

Back