False bottom help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cposten

Reaction score
Hey, am in the process of building a "junk yard" rims. All is well with the element control pump sparge arm etc but am having a little trouble with the false bottom. The ID of my tun is 11.5", but heres the kicker, the tank encloses at the top to a diameter of 6". Have been tinkering around with a pizza filter thayt ive cut into quarters and rebolted in hopes of having a hinges so i could fold it and slip it in. Am also going to put one of the stainless steel braids at the output for extra filtration. Long story short that false bottom isnt working out so well so was hopeing maybe somebody on here had some ideas that could help me out whether itd be tips for the folding one or a whole new approach. Pic of the tun is below, sorry for the poor quality but hope it gives an idea as to what im working with. Thanks in advance

1405468963467.jpg

Unless you have to have it reduce down like that at the top - the simplest solution is to cut the narrow portion off..

What's the possibility of hinging the false bottom with piano hinge, for example, a "tri-fold" setup?

Just hate to see ya' cut up that nice vessel!

Post up a pic of your attempt at the false bottom.

Yea that was my thoughts exactly stealth. After a lucky find a walmart by the woman i got a 11.5" splatter shield. Cut the handle off, cut it right down the middle and pulled out the charcoal filter to stop and stripping. 2 hinges and a handle later and i have a perfect fit. Going to buy a bigger one to cut the screen to lay over for any gaps down the middle. Just got to build the support structure and shes good to go. Will post some pics when i get a some time. Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Back