False Bottom above spigot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SabresBrewer

Reaction score
I have a false bottom that sits above my ball valve on a direct fired RIMS systems. The false bottom has 2 inch legs and is slightly higher than the ball valve leaving about 1.5 gallons of wort in the MLT unless I tip the MLT to drain the bottom.

My question is does anyone run pick up tube under their false bottom if it sits above the ball valve? My idea was use a 6 inch copper tube (1/2in to match the rest of my plumbing) with 90 degree elbow to run to the center of my MLT and pick up the extra wort I'm leaving behind. Does anyone or has anyone done this?

My question is does anyone run pick up tube under their false bottom if it sits above the ball valve? My idea was use a 6 inch copper tube (1/2in to match the rest of my plumbing) with 90 degree elbow to run to the center of my MLT and pick up the extra wort I'm leaving behind. Does anyone or has anyone done this?

Yes, I have done this. It works well. Picked up a couple points of efficiency as well. :mug:

Back