False Bottom - 9inch vs 12inch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftTurnOnly

Reaction score
Hi gang.... Just ordered an all grain 10 gallon round cooler setup thinking i was going to get a 12 inch domed false bottom. Instead it came with a 9 inch domed false bottom. I guess my question is will it really make any difference in the beer using the 9 inch vs 12 inch false bottom? Speed? Efficiency? Anything else?

I did call the place, and the guy told me it'll only effect what my grist ratio would be. It turns out their website does now say it comes with a 9 inch, so it really was my own falt for assuming incorectly... heh... Anyway, just thought i'd check the opinions of folks not selling me something if it really matters :mug: It sounds like it shouldn't, but i don't really know...

Thanks gang.... cheers...
Kyle....

If you are batch Sparging I wouldn't worry about it at all. Fly spargers might have some concerns, but I've never bothered so i don't know.

Generally, bigger is better simply because the larger one will have more surface area and it will be less prone to channeling if fly sparging. It won't make any noticeable difference if batch sparging.

BTW, the guy that told you it will affect your grist ratio doesn't know what he's talking about. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your water to grain ratio. Why would it?

BTW, the guy that told you it will affect your grist ratio doesn't know what he's talking about. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your water to grain ratio. Why would it?

exactly. huh? grist and the size of the false bottom? the guy had no clue, and was bs'ing

Well shoot.... Yea... not sure what the guy meant now that you say that, unless he meant grist size? In that i could fit more grain in with a smaller false bottom? Either way, that seems a bit shaky. Yea... I'm not looking to increase my odds of channeling before i even get started, that's for sure... heh... as i was hoping to fly sparge. Sounds like i may just ending up getting the 12 and have the 9 as backup for what ever reason. It sounds like it's a bit of a head scratcher as to why use the 9inch in a 10 gallon cooler perhaps i guess unless you know you'll only batch sparge.

Thanks gang.... Cheers... :mug:
Kyle...

Latest posts

Back