Failure of Saving Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr1nkBeer

Reaction score
Man I blew I think... I have tottally forgotten about some yeast i put in a flask that I harvested from a Apple Cider and a Christmas ale I did back in December.

The flasks had bungs and airlocks I planned on putting them in vials but I got super busy at work and tottaly forgot about it. Today i went down to grab my flasks and low and behold there they were. They had a good amount of beer (at this point) on top of the yeast and they were at about 60 Degrees the whole time. Is it still suitable to try to get out of suspension?

I'm thinking...

Rack the cider and the ale and see what it tastes like.. :drunk:
Take the yeast and pitch it into a starter and see what happens... :drunk:
or scratch it all and go buy myself some new vials...

What are your thoughts?.. i mean if you can culptivate yeast from a production bottle and get it to ferment dont you think this yeast is still fine?

I searched the forum and nobody was this stupid before... :mad:

I would pitch it into the starter and try it. But I would also have a vial handy just in case its dead. If you see no activity with the harvest use the new yeast..

Yeah those are my thoughts as well... thought i'd share my stupidity with the group... :cross: and get some sort of feedback...

Back