failure... hahahaha. maybe not really though

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleandchips

Reaction score
My first post! although ive been spending way too much time on this website... Revvy is the MAN!!! haha

So...

I decided on bottling day that it would be cool to try and add my priming sugar directly to the primary fermenter. My bottling bucket is currently doubling as a fermenter.... already a fairly bad idea...

About half way through bottling i look at the table and see a full bag of priming sugar.... SH#@#T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then- The bottles i filled already got capped. so i was like, no big deal i'll just uncap em. WRONG!! i counted up my bottle caps and there weren't enough!!! haha

THEN(this was a few beers in by the way... which was also a bad idea..)- I thought to myself- what am i gonna do with all of this bottled beer that doesn't have any priming sugar in it. I didn't want to pour it back into the fermenter for fear of aeration. So my mind(which has been working beautifully the last 2 hours) decided to take an empty handle of jameson and pour it all in there... But after sanitizing the jamo bottle i realized that that was a bit too ridiculous.. although i would have been kinda awesome

Anyway, with half the beer left in the primary fermenter i thought it would be just dandy to add half the bag of priming sugar and gently mix it around and finish off bottling. whooopps! HOLY TRUB!!!!! So i finally had some sense to STOP. My brain was obviously failing me for the last 3 hours....

So the plan right now is to go to the brew store tomorrow and buy carbonation drops and bottle caps. Gonna let the yeast in the fermenter eat the rest of that priming sugar, prime and recap those bottles that already got filled, and when the rest of it in the fermenter finishes off i'll bottle and prime with carb drops.... (cuz my bottling bucket will prolly still be occupied and ive learned my lesson...)

There's a string of lessons to be learned from this fiasco... I think the biggest one really(not including forgetting the priming sugar), is to have a full time bottling bucket....

but i think da beer should still be tasty!!

What does everyone think?? any concerns?? I'm fairly confident in my sanitation skillz so i'm not to worried about that....

Just thought i'd share this recklessness....

thanks!

You'll be right. The beer with the priming sugar will be a bit drier, but not too bad since it isn't that much sugar. The first bottles should prime fine with drops.
Perhaps a good lesson, until you get this down into a more ingrained routine with several batches, maybe a sober brewing/bottling day isn't a bad thing.:drunk:

Pick up another bottling bucket while at the hbs. Sounds like you could stand to have another dual purpose bucket.

Haha, sounds like you got many of the easy-to-make mistakes out of the way in a single bottling session!

That was also my first lesson: a beer while brewing doesn't hurt, but having several is when the brain starts to get fuzzy and the mistakes begin.

Sounds like you didn't hurt anything too bad though and have a solid plan for how to correct it. Looks like everything will turn out alright. Just make sure to give the beer enough to time to eat up those extra sugars so you don't end up with any gushers. Cheers, and welcome to the community by the way!

I've been using my primary as a bottling bucket all along. Next time I'm going to try and utilize a separate bottling bucket and see if that makes any difference in the clarity of my beer. I haven't had any issues so far. I also started using Whirlfloc© and straining and have noticed less sediment on the bottom of the bottles.
I have to agree with bomberman, I can't enjoy too many brews while I'm brewing. That's when I get too many ooops...:cross:

Sounds like your plan will work out. There's always a ton of stupid mistakes you make the first couple times you brew and bottle. You'll still have beer in the end.

Heading over to the emporium tomorrow? :p

Back