EZ Water Calculator - ppm calculations accurate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWulf

Reaction score
I've been attempting to add calculations for Potassium Chloride and total Potassium ppm to the EZ Water Calculator and I've been using the existing calculations on the spreadsheet as a reference.

Doing this I came across some an odd result: the existing calculations don't line up with what I would expect.

Let's take the Magnesium PPM as an example. For the sake of simplicity, let's also assume that we're starting with 100% RO water.

- 1ppm is defined as 1mg / L
- In MgSO4, 20.192% of the weight is Mg (https://www.convertunits.com/molarmass/MgSO4)
- Therefore, 100mg of MgSO4 in 1L of water = 100 * 0.20192 / 1 = ~20ppm of Mg
- The EZ water spreadsheet shows a value of 9 ppm. The existing weight multiplication constant works out to 0.0919855 / L. (0.0246 / gal)

Any thoughts on the discrepancy? Am I calculating this incorrectly or is there an error on the spreadsheet? Values for other minerals seem to have a similar discrepancy.

cc @-TH-

Back