EZ Cap or other simple bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBrewer

Reaction score
So, I'm from Humboldt County up here on the north coast. I don't know you guys but it seems more economical to buy EZ Cap beer bottles then pay for a beer bottle plus a tool to cap and the caps themself. Any suggestions or experience and reasoning into what works best.

More specifically I'm just looking to bottle a gallon of beer and reuse the EZ Cap if I end up using those.

Conflicting interests in,
Humboldt County.

You can do it that way, but I don't buy empty beer bottles to cap...I buy full ones:D. So I kill two birds with one stone. Then...I just have to buy caps when I need them.

I like my pop top bottles,o2 caps,& super agata bench capper. In my experiences,you can only go so cheap before you're only hurting yourself somehow.

Definitely makes sense to buy beer bottles with beer in them in the first place.

I was curious if the hand capper is hard/inaccurate or otherwise not worth buying and should just go straight to the bench capper?

I have never had any issues with a hand capper and that is all I use. I just make sure that the top of the bottle is clean and sanitized.

I was curious if the hand capper is hard/inaccurate or otherwise not worth buying and should just go straight to the bench capper?
I've only bottled one batch of beer but that was enough for me to dislike the black double wing hand capper that came with my equipment kit. The downward motion of putting the caps on was fine, it was the upward motion and the fear of breaking a bottle each time I removed the capper from the bottle that drove me nuts.
I scoured eBay and picked up a super agata bench model for less than $20. I did some tests on empty bottles and felt way more comfortable with this one, only one hand is on the capper, the other can keep the bottle steady.

Well I got a hand capper but it was $15 cheaper then what I could find on the internet.... hopefully I won't have that many problems.

Back