EZ-Boil mOUT setting w/ Recirculating eBIAB and Step Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemanach

Reaction score
I am using an EZ-Boil DSPR320 for a recirculating eBIAB system with a 5500 watt element. I did a trial run step mash with 6 gallons of water and the pump on full speed, I found that the temp in between the loops of the element got over 170 so I would be denaturing enzymes. This isn't a huge surprise with this much power.

I am planning on using the mOUt setting in the DSPR to reduce the power during the ramp sections of the mash. Is anyone else doing this? What mOUT setting did you find worked well for you?

Another idea I had was switching the element to 115V power creating a 1375 watt element while stepping. I could use the relay function in the DSPR to do it automatically for the steps 2-8 leaving step 1 for heating strike water and step 9 for heating to mash out, both of those steps i want fast.

Since you have the ability to check the temp near the element, I suggest you do so at various mOUt settings in order to find one that will keep the peak temp to less than 160, with the pump running at less than 1 gal/min.

Brew on :mug:

I did a few runs from 144 to 158 this morning. I think I was touching the element before and measuring surface temp, not fluid temp around it. As long as I’m not touching the element I’m seeing temps around 160-161 through most of the step even at 100% power. There is a small section an inch long or so that gets up to 169 so there must not be much flow there.

This is a test with only the steamer basket in. I can’t measure temp around the element once the bag and grain are in so I don’t know what will happen then.

Attached is a picture. It’s about 2” from the element. I was concerned the longer probe would hit the element so I went with this probe.

Attachments

• C8483751-9DBA-41D9-80F9-F1D962755F38.jpeg
    C8483751-9DBA-41D9-80F9-F1D962755F38.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
Attached is a picture. It’s about 2” from the element. I was concerned the longer probe would hit the element so I went with this probe.
This is likely to be ok. Closer to the element would be better, but at least you have it in a high flow area.

Brew on :mug:

Not your exact setup but I'm running a 5500 Watt element in my RIMS tube. I have the mOUT setting at 75%. Seems to be working fine with no scorching. My temp probe is about an inch from the element.

Back