• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

California Extremely unique all grain brew setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planker101

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but based on my internet searching I believe this is the first of it's kind (if you've seen another I would love to know).

I'd dubbed it the Ferris BreWheel :)

NEW INFO: If you have your own kegs and just want the stand I am willing to sell just the stand.

I make a new stand every 3-4 batches and wanted to come up with a design that minimized equipment and maximized awesome. I wanted no pumps, but the ability to go from any vessel to any vessel and back again. I got tired of plambing multiple burners and I did not want the hassle of an electric system.
What I came up with is a rotating stand with one burner, no pumps and lots of awesome (in my opinion at least).

I never want to sell someone something under false pretenses so here is my disclaimer: This is my prototype/ proof of concept stand and was mainly built from spare parts I had laying around the garage. The build quality is not up to my normal standards (which may be higher or lower than yours... I usually do stainless and tig weld, this stand is mild and mig tig combo with a few boogery mig welds). The only functional issues are my drive system. It has more slop than I would like and the kegs can "bounce" a bit as you rotate them. Also, with two kegs full of liquid it gets a little hard to turn and I found cranking with one hand and giving a minor assist with the other was helpful. The other issue is that I used a bottom drain mash tun from a previous build and depending on what fitting you use it does not clear the burner (not so much an issue as an inconvienience since you just have to go back and forth instead of continuous rotations). I brewed one 12 gallon batch on the system to test it and was very happy with the stand other than the above listed issues. (if it sells before the beer is gone you can have a bomber of it's virgin beer included with the sale)

What will be included:
-Stand

-(3) kegs, two of which are identically built and are used as the HLT and Kettle. They each have two fittings, one of which is plugged on each but put in so that a thermometer/sight glass could be installed if desired (I recommend the ones from brewhardware.com), a stainless ballvalve with plastic quick disconnects, and each has a stainless diptube. The 3rd keg has two 1.5" TC fittings, one on the bottom to drain and one on the side for a thermometer/thermowell. I used a TC butterfly valve for my test run, but it will not be included and you will need to get your own valve/ fittings for the TC ports on the mash tun.

-BIAB bag for the mash tun (you could switch to a normal false bottom if you prefer, but I do not have one to go with the setup)

-LP propane regulator (no tank)

-immersion chiller

Price is $800 obo
Located in Sonora, CA 95370
Be the first, and ONLY person ever (as far as I know) to own a Ferris BreWheel!!

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

Last edited:
That looks pretty slick to me. I'm all electric so I don't need it, but I like it and think the engineering is great.

I think you should patent this design. I'm not a 3 vessel brewer, but this design would make that work great.

Cheers,
Jim

I think you should patent this design. I'm not a 3 vessel brewer, but this design would make that work great.

Cheers,
Jim

All my friends keep telling me the same thing, but I just don't have the finances to do it. Anyone know of a CHEAP patent process? I would love to patent this if I could, but I'm a poor bastar... If anyone wants to go in halvesies I'm game :D You fund the patent, I build the stands! I already have my updated design mostly dialed. Main problem is the cost of the drive mechanism, but it doesn't put it into an unrealistic price range.

All my friends keep telling me the same thing, but I just don't have the finances to do it. Anyone know of a CHEAP patent process? I would love to patent this if I could, but I'm a poor bastar... If anyone wants to go in halvesies I'm game :D You fund the patent, I build the stands! I already have my updated design mostly dialed. Main problem is the cost of the drive mechanism, but it doesn't put it into an unrealistic price range.

I can (and I use this word loosely) do it yourself. I know a guy who went through the entire process all on his own, but he did invest countless hours in doing so.

A patent attorney is going to run you about $250/hr unless you are willing to give up some % of the IP ownership. If so, I have a friend who is a patent attorney (http://www.georgeleavell.com/). Just let him know that I sent you...at least it'll provide him with some context.

You will want to do all of the prior art research before reaching out though as to not waste your time, if you haven't already.

Very Clever design, I like it!
Basically its a 3 vessel system without a pump and with just one burner.
So will the cost of building the rotating brew stand be less than building a horizontal stand with an extra burner and a pump?
Or a step design brew stand with no pump and two burners?
The downside of the design is the safety issue of moving keggles full of hot liquid.
I like to keep things simple and not having a pump, a bunch of hoses, connectors and valves to clean is appealing to me.
But, It wouldn't work for me, I rather use a simpler gravity arrangement or a system with a pump to move the hot liquid.
Thanks for posting and good luck!

Daily Bump.
Feel free to make reasonable offers. Also open to partial or full trades for tools, things that have triggers, and kegging/fermenting equipment.

a pump free single burner system that has this level of functionality, flexibility and back injury preventing engineering. Seriously, sorry to double post, but I'm pretty blown away.

Bump. Just brewed my second batch on this system. Honestly hoping my electric BIAB sells first as I like this better, but one of them has to go! Will sell stand separately if you already have kegs.

Super rough estimate based on my memory of lengths and sizes of material combined with online weight per foot numbers puts it around 250 pounds with the kegs attached. A lot of that weight is in the BEEFY pieces of angle used for the base (way overbuilt).

Back