Extract with Steeping (just dbl the recipe)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunkerbuster

Reaction score
So I've been making some pretty decent IPA's using extract kits and steeping grains, mostly combining what I like of parts (hops, schedule, ect) instead of going by the exact recipe with some pretty good results... now I'm upgrading to a Blichmann 14gal conical brewing 10gal batches instead of my 5gal glass carboy batches in the past.

So the question is, which I think may sound silly; but do I just double the grains, extract, and hops to make the 10gal vice 5gal batch?

For the most part, simply doubling the recipe works. The hop utilization goes up a smidge,
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/

Yeah I've been running the recipe through BeerSmith all morning/afternoon trying to find something that sounds/looks right on paper. Problem is, I'm just now starting to really document my past recipes so I don't have much for (past) comparison. Looks like these first few batches will get me where I want to be. I think having a couple of more IBU's is going to be ok since the past beers haven't been what I've expected... but I have a theory... that it's because I'm adding flavoring hops around 30 minutes instead of 20; thoughts?

Back