Extract Late Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
I have brewed a few batches and noticed the infamous "homebrew twang." I am hoping that adding half the extract at the beginning of the boil and half at the 15 minute mark will help with this. I have always heard to never add extract with the burner on. Should I just interrupt my hop schedule, turn the burner off, add the extract, and resume the boil. Do I just pause the timer?

I add some at the end of the steep and then start my boil. Then add the remaining at flameout. I've been doing it this way for the last (almost) 2 years.

The general rule of thumb is to add about a 1/2 lb of DME/LME per gal of water. I do 6.5 gal boils so at most I add 3 lb in the beginning and the rest (no matter what) at flameout. Hope this helps.

The infamous "homebrew twang" is usually more indicative of a problem with water or grain handling rather than extract addition. Adding some of the extract late in the boil will lessen the darkening of the boiled wort for light colored beers.
I boil on the stove top. I turn the heat down a little when I add extract. I add the extract slowly and stir and stir some more. I actually stir the wort at least eveery 5 minutes. If I don't I would probably get distracted and have a boil over.

Latest posts

Back