Extract brew -- grains for flavor?? HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heeler

Reaction score
Could someone please direct me to a thread with directions for steeping grains for flavor and adding that to an extract brew?? Trying to learn and not wanting to piss anybody off. Searched but no luck. Ordered John Palmers book and anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Well, steeping grains are used for color/flavor/aroma, etc. Usually, you steep the grains in water for 20 minutes at 150-165 degrees then remove the grains. It's like making tea, and it really smells great! Then you bring that liquid up to a boil and proceed with the beer brewing.

Most commonly, crystal grains are used. They don't need to be mashed, as the sugars have already been converted so they make a great addition. Sometimes, people use roasted barley (for stouts) or other grains. Chocolate malt AND crystal can be used in a brown ale.

What I'm trying to say (badly, I think) is it really depends on the recipe. Sometimes a darker beer, like a stout, will have crystal malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, etc. A cream ale might have none.

What are you making? We can help you come up with a recipe.

Thanks so much for the reply....I am getting ready to start a Coopers dark Ale with Northwestern Gold liquid malt extract. The 1.7kg Coopers can and a 1.5kg box (liquid in a bag) of the malt. I dont think this recipe needs any extras or am I wrong??? I was advised not to use dextros either???
As for what I'm after -- I think I want to start with the liquid extracts and then progress up the ladder (hope that came across right) you know liquid and add steeping grains.
the recipe I'm after -- I wish there weren't so damned many to choose from. I feel like a kid in a candy store and when I went in to my LHBS thats exactly what I felt like. I think I'm gonna stick with a tried and true recipe like a SamAdams Amber or something of the like, thats why I picked up the Coopers dark ale with the gold extract. ANY advice is welcome.
I am still trying to make something palletable - crisp and light. I am in Florida and in a few months it will be so dang hot all the heavy beers will be left in the stores.
OK so on with it, I have tried several kits (MrBeer,Coopers) and neither have impressed. I read that folks on this site say -- 2 wks primary -2 weeks secondary - and 2 weeks condition. I did that with both and they still sucked. Prob did something wrong.

I also have a Coopers Ale (which I think is supposed to be light ) ageing now. I've read dont try one for a month so still waiting. I dont want to use the names Bud or Mich or Heinny but these are regulars in my fridge. I would really like to make a drinkable Heinny --is that possible?? Well still trying to absorb and learn. Thanks in advance.

Back