Extra Light Dry Extact as a base

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmad2000

Reaction score
I have 2 bags of malt extract light and extra light. My light extract is running out quickly. So in the near future i will need to use the extra light extract and i was wondering what grains i would need to add to kinda make it into a light extract?

4 lbs. DME is enough for a 3.5 gallon batch of 1.065 - 1.075 OG beer under a 4.5 gallon boil.

Extra Light DME is most often base malt with a dash of carapils.

Light DME is most often base malt with a dash of carapils and crystal 10.

I would save 1 lb. of the light DME for a yeast starter and fill in the blanks with a simple sugar addition for added dryness along with a dash of C10 and maybe some other steeping grains for complexity in a pale hoppy beer.

Oh when i said bags i guess i ment sacks (55lbs).

So if i am getting this right. 4lbs light dme = 4lbs extra light dme + 1lbs C10

I am not looking for something spot on i am just trying to get that malty flavor that the light dme has vs the extra light.

It's funny, I've always used them interchangeably and actually prefer the extra-light because of the lighter finished color. I never tried to add any extra crystal to any recipe to make it more like light DME.

I'd suggest just using the Extra light in place of the light as a 1-for-1 sub. The results will probably be just as good or better.

Oh when i said bags i guess i ment sacks (55lbs).

So if i am getting this right. 4lbs light dme = 4lbs extra light dme + 1lbs C10

I am not looking for something spot on i am just trying to get that malty flavor that the light dme has vs the extra light.

I could've swore I saw 4 lbs. mentioned if your initial post. Anyway... I wouldn't say that 1 whole lb. of C10 would level it out. You shouldn't need to level it out for a style like an IPA either where 0-5% total crystal in your grist is typically the wisest choice. Just go with Yooper's advice.

Latest posts

Back