extra fine irish moss flakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
As an experiment, I ground up some irish moss flakes in a hand operated pepper mill. I estimate the average flake size was then ten times smaller, increasing the surface area considerably. I added a level teaspoon to my latest 6 gallon brew, an all grain dark bitter, 20 minutes from end of boil.

I bottled the beer yesterday just 4 days after pitching the yeast. I have never seen beer so clear at this stage. It smelt wonderful. I will give taste feedback in 3 weeks time.

(do not post about bottle bombs please - regular readers will know I have been bottling after 4 to 7 days for many years now with no disasters.)

I never thought of this. Why not keep my Irish Moss in a pepper mill and then grind them just before use? Brilliant! I like to hydrate my IM before tossing into the kettle at the 15 min mark. I'll just grind it and then hydrate it like usual. Thanks for the idea.

I look forward to hearing how this comes out. I was thinking about doing this myself.

Wow what a great Idea. Btw could you explain or perhaps post a link about your expirences with bottling so fast? I am all for anything that gets beer ready to drink quicker.

As an experiment, I ground up some irish moss flakes in a hand operated pepper mill. I estimate the average flake size was then ten times smaller, increasing the surface area considerably. I added a level teaspoon to my latest 6 gallon brew, an all grain dark bitter, 20 minutes from end of boil.

I bottled the beer yesterday just 4 days after pitching the yeast. I have never seen beer so clear at this stage. It smelt wonderful. I will give taste feedback in 3 weeks time.

(do not post about bottle bombs please - regular readers will know I have been bottling after 4 to 7 days for many years now with no disasters.)

The experiment only works if you are adding the same quantity. 1 level teaspoon of moss v/s 1 level tsp of ground moss is not the same.

Yes - I agree that dose rate MAY be different.

I have always bottled as soon as fermentation is finished (ok so it never really finishes but I use my eyes to look for the top few inches clearing and no visible gas bubbles). I add a quarter of a level teaspoon of brewing sugar per 500 ml. I bottle mainly in glass bottles but always have 2 or 3 one litre PET bottles - these act as pressure sensors in case of over pressurising. I put the bottles on floor near a radiator for 2 weeks then move to somewhere at 10-15 deg C and drink after a further week (the first bottle not the whole 6 gallon batch).

The experiment only works if you are adding the same quantity. 1 level teaspoon of moss v/s 1 level tsp of ground moss is not the same.

That seems to be the case but the results don't lie. Perhaps if one is wanting a super clear beer, just add more irish moss. I don't think there would really be a limit on that, or a point at which you'd start to have adverse affects, would there?

Does irish moss impart any flavour? I suppose I could make a pint of irish moss solution then add it to a glass of beer drop by drop until it spoils the taste....

Back