Extra boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdoebler

Reaction score
I'm in the process of brewing a Belgian trippel and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to boil longer due to volume bring too high. Do I just take the hops out after 60 minutes and keep going? Or do I leave them in?

I would take them out, though the oils have probably already been extracted and continue to isomerize, so any change in flavor will probably happen either way.

my advice... if you are using a hop bag (preferably on a string) and can pull them out, then that's ok, but don't put anything INTO that boiled wort.

it's sterile and pasteurized at this point... don't put anything in there that hasn't been sanitized, or you don't intend to leave there.

in other words... don't mess with it.

Thank you, at flame out I took the hops bag and the immersion cooler out to see where I was and I actually ended up right at 6 gallons. I turned the heat up for the last 30 minutes to get more evaporation so I think that might have worked.

Back