Extension Cord Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackers252

Reaction score
Hi,
I am about to purchase a Blichmann Breweasy with the 240V, 30A electric element. I am far from an electrician, so I figured I'd ask the experts here.

I plan to brew in my basement. I have a sliding window on the opposite side of the basement as my dryer. I'm planning on having a dedicated 240 gfci outlet and breaker installed beside that window, but I'm having problems getting an electrician out to help.

The controller comes with a 12 foot extension cord already. Can I plug that into an extra Blichmann 12 foot extension cord (making total of 24 feet) until I get an electrician out to install the new breaker? Is that too much of a load for that far?

I'm half an electrician. Looks like Blichmann uses a 10/3 cable for the 240V cords? That's good up to 100 ft., by electric code...real life probably much longer. If it were me, I'd just run down to the big orange box and buy the length I need, and use the plug ends included.

I'm half an electrician. Looks like Blichmann uses a 10/3 cable for the 240V cords? That's good up to 100 ft., by electric code...real life probably much longer. If it were me, I'd just run down to the big orange box and buy the length I need, and use the plug ends included.

Agreed.

You will be fine doubling the length of the cord to 24 ft. As long as it is the same guage cord as mentioned above.

Also, as mentioned above, the cord length will have an effect on your system as a whole. Which is why cord lengths should be limited. There is inherent resistance in the wire which will cause you to have less voltage at your panel with a very long cord.

So with a 12ft cord you may lose .1 volt, and if you double the cord length it may become .25 volts or so.

The point when one should be concerned is when a cord is more than 100 ft as mentioned above.

Good luck man.

Back