Extension Cord for Chugger Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt O

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you need a special 'gauge' or length of extension cord for a chugger pump? Every discussion I have seen has been about wiring it to a switch or plugging it directly into an outlet but nothing seemed to address running the pump off of an extension cord.

I ask because I've used my pump about ten times so far and about half of those times it hasn't worked without stopping or shutting off. I feel like the one time it was definitely overheated. But all the other times it has been cool out. I have taken it apart and cleaned it a couple times.

A friend of mine (with general contracting experience - no brewing experience) said maybe it was the extension cord I was using? I have a 100 foot 16/3 outdoor extension cord. I'm not even sure what that means but I know I needed this specific length and gauge for my lawn mower. I plug the extension cord into an outlet I have in my outdoor patio roof (pump won't reach by itself) and then I can control the outdoor outlet with a wall switch turning the pump on and off.

Does anyone know if this could be causing a problem with my pump not getting enough power? Or have any suggestions on extension cords that they use without issue?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice...and thanks to everyone on this site for the countless information/advice I've gathered over the years since I started brewing!!

So to start, always try to use the shortest extension cord for your application. Shorter is always better.

That being said, your pump, assuming it’s the base model chugger is drawing max about 1.9 amps with full load according to specs.

At 1-2 amps over 100’ a 16 gauge cord meets the rating.

IMG_5729.jpg

I doubt your pump is overheating or seizing due to the cord. Check that the mounting screws on the pump head are not over torqued, make sure you’re getting all the air out of the pump and keeping it out. Generally it’s good to have your inlet pointing down and outlet pointing up to help with air. This last thing made a big difference in my pumps performance.

I agree with Saboral, the voltage drop with 16awg cord over 100 feet drawing 2A is less than 2 volts

Thanks so much for the information! I will definitely check the screws and also try repositioning the pump head!

Cheers!

Back