Extending primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGowls

Reaction score
I brewed a English IPA two weeks ago and it has been fermenting in the basement at about 62-64 degrees. I just checked the website and it says ideal temp for the yeast (London Ale WLP013) is 66-71. My question is should I just get it into a warmer temperature for the last week I plan on fermenting it or should I let it ferment for an even longer time period since I am just getting it to the ideal fermentation temperatures?
Thanks for the help

Letting the temperature raise up some is a perfectly fine idea. Once through the bulk of fermentation some people (including myself for some yeast strains or styles such as a saison) let the temperature rise up anywhere from a few degrees to a significant increase. At that point the risk of off flavors from high fermentation temperatures is greatly reduced, and it ensures the yeast finish their job instead of slowing down early.

But if fermentation is going fine for you there's not really any reason you HAVE to raise it. You're only a few degrees below the company recommendation and it's not really going to make that big of a difference. If anything the yeast might just finish a gravity point or two higher than it normally would.

I would check gravity. If the beer has not yet reached FG then I would raise the temp and gently rouse the yeast to keep it active and to finish, then give it another week. If it is at FG already then the temperature change is no big deal or necessary.

Back