explosions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacteriaman

Reaction score
Greetings!

I kicked off my first batch of Hard Cider last night. Its a 1 gallon carboy with airlock. Added 2 teaspoons of Safle4 yeast. My question is regarding explosions. I would like to prevent this from happening. What are some precautions I can take?

Thanks
BacteriaMan

Typically the carboys with an airlock don't just explode. Sharp temperature changes in glass can cause issues but I have had a couple 1 gallon jugs fermenting for 10 days nearly and nothing has happened. I wouldn't say there are sharp changes though and they're actually sitting on top of my fridge without issue (maybe that is a bad idea).

Were you planning on bottling? If so, be sure to check them daily for over carbonation or find a plastic bottle (soda bottle works) and fill that up. Check that daily. Mine is rock hard and I checked the bottles last night and there is slight carbonation. I would pack the bottles away in a box that is covered just in case there are bottle bombs. You don't want to get smacked with glass or have to clean up a huge mess.

Once there, you either need to keep them cold constantly or you need to pasteurize and then you can store at room temp.

If you are worrying about the carboy rupturing, don't, it won't happen. The airlock will get ejected first. If that does happen then there may be some krausen and cider that goes with it all over the floor. You can lessen the chances of that happening by using a blow off tube instead of an airlock. A blow off tube is just a bigger diameter piece of tubing, around an inch or so in diameter, that you submerge in a jug of Star-San or something similar. Basically it is a bigger airlock that won't allow pressure to build up as readily.

After saying all that, my understanding is that cider doesn't build a krausen nearly as much as beer, and with only a 1 gallon batch I don't think your off-gas rate will be anything to worry about. Let it ride just like you have it.

Latest posts

Back