Exploding Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koenigwi

Reaction score
My glass floating thermometer exploded on its second use!

I used it the first time, no problem. I pulled the rubber cap off, washed everything, let it dry, and slipped the cap back on. This time, my water was at about 145 and I needed to get it up to 150. I let it it sit in there, not touching anything. I heard the rubber cap pop, saw it shoot up in the air, and looked in the pot to see a busted thermometer. Fortunately, it was just water.

I dodged a bullet, but can you all tell me if this was operator error or if it was a defective thermometer? I don't want to return it unless I'm pretty sure it was a defect.

20170203_184908.jpg

The only way I see it could be operator error if if the thermometer was cold and then put in real hot water.

It was room temperature, and I put it in 145 degree water. Is that bad?

Those glass thermometers are junk. Slow as molasses, inaccurate, and they break.

Get one of those digital ones.

I like the CDN DTQ450. ~$18 Amazon. There are better ones but for more $$$.

It was room temperature, and I put it in 145 degree water. Is that bad?

No. I don't believe that would be enough of a thermal shock to damage a thermometer.

I'd say, to break a thermometer, you'd almost have to take a frozen thermometer and place it in boiling water. They are pretty tough.

I didn't think people even used those thermometers anymore. Like said above, get a digital or a good dial thermometer. Easier to read, safer, faster readings.

Back