Exploding Possibility?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyBrewster

Reaction score
This is my first time making cider on my own. I used apple juice and cranberry juice with some pure white sugar and I'm using champagne yeast. I started this cider on Friday. I think the amount of bubbles coming up through the airlock is a little accessible, do you think there should be any caution like the airlock could pop off and cider will spill out? I did put a little too much sanatizer in the water.

iC6PBF

View attachment trim.0B98197B-40FF-412A-81D4-2D4C4AC159C6.MOV

IMG_4986.JPG

I assume you meant "excessive", so no, not really. In theory if your airlock got blocked it could build pressure and blow, but you would see the cider coming out the airlock before that happened. Your bubbles look nice and clear, and seem like a normal, healthy amount.

However, if you wanted to be extra careful you could replace the lid and airlock with a clean cloth or towel held over the top with some bungee cord or something similar, at least for the first three or four days. I do this myself, not because I'm worried about a blowout (though it makes that very unlikely, there's no way to build pressure) but to allow oxygen to get to the yeast while they're reproducing. Then put the lid and airlock back after that.

I agree with everything buMbLeB said above. I have had the airlock pop off before due to vigorous fermentation. I just pushed the thing back down after cleaning the clogged airlock and moved on.

Anyway, after watching your short video you have nothing to worry about.

I assume you put sanitizer in the airlock. If you used vodka it would foam less.

Back