Exploding Krausen!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmarc85

Reaction score
Poured my imperial porter on top of dry English and super high gravity yeast cake...5 hrs later... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401215619.060429.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401215630.708507.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I should have figured that I was asking for trouble...

Definitely a blow off tube and judging the headspace on the carboy, you also better get a blow off tube for that.

Man I guess so!

Definitely a blow off tube and judging the headspace on the carboy, you also better get a blow off tube for that.

That other guy is a secondary; my cajones ain't that big ;)

The airlock.... Was it swallowed by the renegade krausen? Did it get launched and embedded into your ceiling? I don't see it in the second pic at all.

Boydster, excellent question! I'm fairly certain that it was consumed and fermented immediately upon initial contact with this mighty krausen. I'm excited for the flavor profile :)

The Blob is fermenting your beer. WATCH OUT! Tomorrow, you may find it has consumed your bucket and family pets :D

More seriously, have you been able to keep the temp controlled, or did it run away when it was pumping out krausen like that?

Haha. Temp is high, prolly pushing 78F (+8F over ambient). Typically this space provides a fairly warm start, but will crash back down to 72F after a few days. I've never noticed of flavors...

Back