Experimental Brewing with my sixteen year old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
This weekend, I helped my sixteen year old son brew his first batch of beer (for a school science project).

tl;dr - took a long time, had some snafus... didn't matter, made beer.

Full blog entry here.

I'm surprised the school didn't call CPS on you... bunch of bleeding heart, holy rollers these days.

I think this is awesome, my 1.5 year old girl just watches, but she'll get in on the action soon enough.

They are pretty progressive. It's chemistry, it's biology, it's international... they loved the idea.

Of course, they pointed out that he can't drink it, but they knew he would be supervised, so they were very much in favor of the concept.

They are pretty progressive. It's chemistry, it's biology, it's international... they loved the idea.

Of course, they pointed out that he can't drink it, but they knew he would be supervised, so they were very much in favor of the concept.

Oh I totally agree... but the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Anyway, good read, cool experiment.

home brewing is a "Fantastic " instrument for dad son bonding especially with a sixteen year old , have fun together, let him design a recipe and do it together till you are drinking one together.
That's setting up the future.
At sixteen he probably thinks you a a dick, when he is twenty six he will be surprised how much you have learned !

Oh I totally agree... but the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Anyway, good read, cool experiment.

Oh, I know where you were coming from. Thanks!

home brewing is a "Fantastic " instrument for dad son bonding especially with a sixteen year old , have fun together, let him design a recipe and do it together till you are drinking one together.
That's setting up the future.
At sixteen he probably thinks you a a dick, when he is twenty six he will be surprised how much you have learned !

Yeah, he does think that. I try to force him to spend time right now, looking forward to the days coming where he reverts to human form.

All that said - I'll let him have a sip of each variety. I'm a HUGE believer that demystifying alcohol removes the taboo and reduces the risk of abusing it. The school can bite me.

Thats really cool!

Also, shout out from talladega! Roll Tide!

Thats really cool!

Also, shout out from talladega! Roll Tide!

Thanks!

Also, War Eagle!

But good luck in the playoff, anyway. If you guys make it, a team from this state would be there for the sixth straight year. Unheard of. Of course, ya'll will win it.

I grew up in a no booze home, it was taboo, at sixteen I was caught in a pub by the school head , obviously I should have left immediately , but I was sixteen, I stayed , finished my pint, and was surprised as I was sixteen, to be be called in the next day, wow my ears are still ringing !

I would be letting your lad have full glasses when in your company, and call it education ! He probably won't like it but he will only be sixteen once.
For me my lad grew from sixteen very quickly, then lived away at uni, then took a job 220 miles away, I cherish the time I had with him at sixteen, Please make the most of this time, it may not be long .

I grew up in a no booze home, it was taboo, at sixteen I was caught in a pub by the school head , obviously I should have left immediately , but I was sixteen, I stayed , finished my pint, and was surprised as I was sixteen, to be be called in the next day, wow my ears are still ringing !

I would be letting your lad have full glasses when in your company, and call it education ! He probably won't like it but he will only be sixteen once.
For me my lad grew from sixteen very quickly, then lived away at uni, then took a job 220 miles away, I cherish the time I had with him at sixteen, Please make the most of this time, it may not be long .

I grew up in a no booze home, as well. I was a "good" kid, though... I was nearly thirty before I felt comfortable having a single beer, as if I was doing something wrong.

I let him sample every new beer I get. I think I've killed the forbidden thrill.

I agree @ won't be sixteen long. Don't I know it. He was six yesterday.

Pretty cool project! I look forward to my kids being old enough to enjoy it.

Right now my 9 year old thinks beer is yucky and my 5 year old (who has been known to stick a finger in my beer and thinks it's yummy -- just one finger.. chill out CPS) tells me while I'm brewing "the house smells horrible."

I always had a glass of wine at the dinner table as a kid and im still here. Rather then going to buy liqour as a kid my dad would just give me a bottle of homemade wine. No standing around for someone else to buy me liqour! probaly better to drink a bottle of wine then a bottle a cheap vodca unknowingly.

Latest posts

Back