Experienced Kolsch and WLP029 assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allentwnguy

Reaction score
I have a Frankenstein Kolsch fermenting. Right now I'm doing damage control to get the best beer I can out of this. I probably shouldn't have tried my first Kolsch and my new mill at the same time!!! 1. it was the first time using the mill and efficiency went from 64ish% to 88%, gave me an OG of 1.060! (I've adjusted all my recipes since) 2. The warm weather set in and I had trouble keeping temps low, I kept it under 70* but just barely. It's been in the primary for a week today. It's in a 6.5 glass carboy sitting in my brew pot in a water bath and I want to brew again soon!!!!

Questions. Transfer it to a corny and let it sit in the basement at 55ish? That seems the most sensible. Or put the corny in the keezer at 40. I really don't want to transfer it into a 5 gal carboy. Let it sit longer as is?

So while I'm not really sweating it and I'm drinking a beer... I would prefer not to end up with a crisp fruity no body 6.4 ABV beer 9but it doesn't sound bad.) Dry hop it? hummm help!

I usually use 2565 so have only used 029 once. My first kolsch I missed kinda high and instead of diluting in the kettle I let it ride. Ended up about a 6.1, I liked it a lot. Have you taken a gravity reading? If it is done I would cold crash it for a few days then rack to a keg. This is where I would add a fining agent. Kolsch yeast does not drop out very quickly. Put it on gas and by the time it carbonates it will be ready to drink.
Cheers

Thanks Goose, I usually don't take gravity readings on the fermentation. I just let it do its thing for a week or more. Problem here is I took my brew pot out of action! I can wait a few more days then rack it to a keg and put it in the basement for another week or so then cold crash it. I heard about the suspension ability of the kolsch yeast. I'm a gelatin user and patient so... Thanks again.

Back