Expandable Setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weathejx

Reaction score
I've just started home brewing and I've caught the bug pretty bad. I, like many others, started with the Mr. Beer kit decided it wasn't enough to pour syrups into a container and hope for the best.

So I went out and picked up the bucket starter kit from Barry's (http://barryshomebrew.com/ - awesome place, really helpful) and a LME recipe kit. And then while it was fermenting I decided that bottling wasn't an option 'because of space restrictions in the apartment' (that was my excuse to the lady) so I kegged it and now the keg is taking up half of the fridge. I'm picking up a fridge to convert it to a kegerator this weekend.

After doing my initial 'real' brew I've come to the conclusion that the equipment I have is inadequate and I need to upgrade. I'm an avid DIY'er and would like to build, rather than buy.

The issue is that space is actually really limited and I can't have a setup that is always assembled. I've been scouring this site (really the best resource I've found) and I want to start acquiring equipment that will work in my small space and then once I move to a place with a man cave I can add on to it, and automate it with an arduino (tech geek as well as budding brewer).

So my question to the knowledge base is: where should I spend my money so I'll be able to expand my setup without repurchasing a lot of equipment.

Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Wort chiller. I'm thinking a heat exchanger, 30 plate from dudadiesel (http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX1230). From what I've seen this is better than counter flow. I know that male NPT is better than female, and that I should avoid barbs. I assume I should find couplings and make my own hoses for this, right?

2. Brew pot. This is something that will need to be upgraded as time goes on. I want something that I can initially use on a range or propane stove, then install a heating element and temperature gauge for the automation later. I know I need to be careful about contamination, so stainless steel is the material. But can I subsequently safely drill through it to add the drain, heating element and thermometer? Can I convert a 1/2 bbl for this? It would look pretty cool and the kegs can be picked up for pretty cheap.

3. Fermenter. I haven't done much research in this area so far. I was thinking of fermenting in a corny so I could put it in a controlled keezer or fridge at a later time. Can i drill a drain in a corny or am I thinking about this the wrong way? Should I use another stainless pot with a drain? I cant see spending 1k on a temp controlled conical if i can get a fridge/freezer for 50/100 on craigslist to do the same thing. Maybe a regular conical? Again, can I convert a 1/2 bbl for this?

4. Bits and Pieces/Random Questions.
Bazooka Screen/False Bottom - I assume they do the same thing. Which is better, are they necessary?
Hoses/Pipes - Is there an advantage to either?
Sanitizing - All the piping I use should be stainless steel, right? I'm worried about keeping stuff clean if I build my own brew kettle. I dont have a welder and honestly I'm not sure that welding is in my wheelhouse.

Thoughts? What am I missing here? I know I'll need to add a some equipment when I move from extract to all grain.

well, that ended up being a lot longer that I thought it would be. but i suppose that probably has something to do with the homebrew IPA ive been sipping on.

Thanks in advance,

-John

you wouldn't ferment in a corny. Just get you a brew pot and you can do some partial extract/mini mash recipes. Thats all you really need. Then later on if you want to go to all grain, you'll need a few more things, but I wouldn't go drilling into a corny keg

Hi John,

Here's my $0.02:

1. Wort chiller. I use a CFC. It works great, but you've already decided what you want to do, so I won't try to change your mind.

2. Brew pot. You said that 1/2 bbls are cheap. I'd go with that. When you decide to go all grain, and do 10 gallon batches, you'll be all set. You won't be able to use it on a range, but an outdoor burner works great. And, if you decide to go electric, it will be a fairly easy conversion.

3. Fermenter. While you're getting the 1/2 bbl for the keggle, get one to ferment in too. I have a couple that I ferment in, and I didn't modify them in any way. I did buy the Sanke Fermenter Kits for them, but they were worth it. I wouldn't do a primary ferment in a corny, but maybe a secondary would work. I also wouldn't modify it, just rig up a blowoff with a gas QD.

4. Bits and Pieces. Do like I did and search the DIY forums for various ideas. Bookmark every piece of equipment you think you want to build. I've copied a lot of ideas from the DIY forums. Most have been modified from the original design during the build, but the basics are the same.

Welcome to HBT, and the addiction. I hope you have room for all the stuff you're gonna build. I'm starting to run out of space for my stuff.

Rick

Back