Exclusive Beer Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mresa641

Reaction score
All,

I have an idea of opening a bar that serves strictly beer. My focus is going to be on serving the top national and international brews. I understand this will be expensive but my question to you, the community, is how exactly do I procure the beer? My guess is a distributor but what about the beers that are not carried by a distributor? Also, for the variety that I can get from distributors, can I use multiple distributors? What would be the best way and what do you experts recommend?

Thanks

What do you consider the top beers? Top sellers? Top rated? What if I, as a beer connoisseur, go to this bar with some of my redneck friends. They want Bud Light. They get mad because they don't want to pay $$$ for good beer. They want cheap tasteless soda beer. Are you going to leave them out?

Let's face it. BMC is still selling.

All,

I have an idea of opening a bar that serves strictly beer. My focus is going to be on serving the top national and international brews. I understand this will be expensive but my question to you, the community, is how exactly do I procure the beer? My guess is a distributor but what about the beers that are not carried by a distributor? Also, for the variety that I can get from distributors, can I use multiple distributors? What would be the best way and what do you experts recommend?

Thanks
Dunno, but when I think of strictly beer I think of this place (they serve wine too...erm):

Downtown Madison, WI Restaurant Featuring Beer and Wine - Brasserie V - Brasserie V

Need to know a state, sir. Some places are easier to do this than others. There are plenty of places (In my town we have Hamilton's, Toronado, O'Briens. In SF, Toronado. Washington DC has the Brickseller. Seattle has Brouwers. The list goes on and on.)

I am in Texas. Not sure if I would leave out the cheap beer or not if anything I would def throw in shiner and local micro brews . I would use top rated beers not necessary top selling.

Just my suggestion but do not serve ONLY beer. If you want to be centered around quality beer than great but you still need a full bar. People, even beer snobs, sometimes want to drink things other than beer.

there are places where serving liquor by the glass is illegal. where i vacation in NC the only thing you will find at any bar is beer or wine.

Just my suggestion but do not serve ONLY beer. If you want to be centered around quality beer than great but you still need a full bar. People, even beer snobs, sometimes want to drink things other than beer.

Every bar I mentioned that is local to me is a beer only bar. I think one of them has two wines that they pour, but nothing else. None of them are even remotely hurting.

that said, they don't have big Bud signs on the walls, but they still keep a couple of things in the cooler for local types, with the exception of the Toronado. All three bars do serve food, but it is just a compliment to the already existing bar. In the right area with a good enough selection, you can be a beer bar.

Texas is a three-tier state, so you have to go through distro, which is limiting, but there's a lot of good distribution out there. It all depends on who caters to your area and how much they're willing to work with you.

Thanks for all of your help, i appreciate all of the positive feedback. Basically I live in an area of consultants and high powered execs who have the money and are willing to pay for a beer bar where they and their friends can get together and have an excellent brew. (I myself, am willing to have beers that are out of the park compared to top beers you can get at the everyday bar). This concept sort of plays on the on the cigar and brandy type bars in the area. My idea is centered on a high powered hangout and networking atmosphere much like high-end steak houses where people can get together for business. The menu would change based on sources such as Beer Advocate or other pro sources.

I understand that I will be leaving out the bud and coors guys and for that I apologize. But, at the same time does Fogo de chao and Texas de Brazil perform poorly because they serve something more than they typical ribs and sirloin steak?

But to stay on topic...how would sourcing or procuring the beer go? Does anyone have any expert opinion on the procurement side.

Have you been to the Flying Saucer? They only serve beer. You might start going there and asking questions as you spend money there.

Edit: I know that reps go there all the time and try to get them to sell their product. Once you get started, a lot of them will come to you. In the beginning though, you can use a distributor along with seeking out brews yourself. What part of Texas are you in? I know a few distributors of some fine beers.

The question I think you need to answer for yourself is whether you will be able to sustain a business in the area that you intend to operate. How many customers do you need per day? are they there?

Assuming you have start up capital, help, and experience.

Back