Exciting! 1st Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StusBrew

Reaction score
I measured 1.136 for O.G. Kind of a bummer. Could only find wildflower honey. Trying for a sweet mead. 18 lb. of it! Excited, mostly because I've been brewing ales. For the last two autumns, made cider once a year. So brewing beer, depending on process could take 3 - 6 hours or more. I spent MAYBE 45 minutes tops. But that didn't include the PBW in fermenter for 35 minutes! Also, the flabbergasting thing for me, the highest I've recorded specific gravity for a bear was something like 1.090 or something close to that.
I'm going with a staggered nutrient additions. For the last like 6 years I've read up a bit on meadmaking. I just went with my LHBS knowledge base. He typically does the Wyeast Nutrient thing right at first. About high krausen or afger first day or day and a half, add Fermade K. Then a day after that, add another dose of yeast nutrient.
But at LHBS I noticed wine yeast nutrient and then beer yeast nutrient. I just opted to save myself $3 and just use my already available beer yeast nutrient. Anybody have experience with that? I figure there might be a difference. Percentages of minerals, vitamins, micronutrients might be different just because of differences in sugar content between wines and beers. Hmm... Anyway...

I've heard mixed things. I guess depends on mazer or preferences right? I've heard to forego ferm k, but use ferm o instead. And have also heard you can use DAP or not use DAP.
The only thing I can do is to make more of it. To see? The difference between Ferm O and Ferm K is that Ferm O is organic right?

I don't know a whole lot about the topic, but from what I understand ferm o provides much more nitrogen per gram. It's supposedly much easier for yeast to break down and absorp and yes it is organic

Back