Exchanging glucose for DME?? help needed please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The-randypan

Reaction score
Hi every1, im pretty new to brewing and a fellow brewer told me to swap the sugar/ glucose with DME. I'm gonna do a coopers cerveca and I want to know if I just swop the sugar for DME, so instead of using 1 kg of sugar I would use a 1 kg bag of DME instead?? Any help on this matter would be much appriciated!!

The sugars will be more fermentable than DME, but DME will leave a malty flavor.

You should ask this question in the extract or beginners subforums, as there are probably people there that have gone through this exact same thing.

That said, I'm sure someone will be along soon that will be able to provide more details.

I wouldn't do it because it will not turn out like a cerveza.. Is it a kit or a recipe? Cerveza are very light color so if you take out the simple sugar (cain/corn/beet sugar) and replace it with DME/LME it will be darker in color. It will also be sweeter because the simple sugars are fully fermentable and malt leaves a little..

I would use a blend of 40% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin and 40% extra light DME to minimize changes to flavor. This essentially mimics a blend of their brew enhancer products.

I my self am doing a cooper extract except stout and i am going to be substituting the 1kg dex for 1kg of DME as well as an extra 5oz of molassas and 1/2 kg of caramel barley and 1lb of oats being partial mashed) Randy Pan us should check out the You Tube vids on partial mashing its super easy and is a great tool for beer making! One rule of thumb i learned is DEX is 100% fermentable as DME is 55 - 75 % fermentable. But hey only one way to find out always works! happy brewing

I just did the Coopers Cerveza. I did one Coopers Cerveza can and 1 kg of DME. And like someone said up above, it tastes sweet. Almost fruity. My fermenting temp was 18-20c and pitched yeast at 26c. Was in the fv for 3 weeks and fg didnt move for 2 of those weeks. I am going to do this kit again with the brew enhancer they call for to compare. Its very smooth and light, just fruity like its mixed with apple juice.

Not sure how i feel about it.

Hi every1, im pretty new to brewing and a fellow brewer told me to swap the sugar/ glucose with DME.

Where are you getting glucose?

Back