Excess Wort Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWitGuy

Reaction score
I just finished my brew today and I noticed that I had about 2 gallons of excess wort and that's after filling a 6 gallon carboy. Luckily I had another carboy and dumped it in there. It's currently cooling in my basement before I pitch yeast, but is this normal?

Here's the recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/

I tweaked the hop amounts to keep the IBU's around 62~ and also added more base to increase ABV. What's wrong here?

You must have had less boil-off than you thought, or sparged more than you needed.
What were your volumes, and what is your boil-off rate? What were your gravitys?

BeerSmith said OG to be at 1.064, long hold behold that's what I got. I just noticed that in the final copy of the recipe it says 7 gallons after boil. Wtf is going on here?

You just need to dial everything in. Did you set up your equipment manually in BS? What are your figures for trub loss chiller loss etc. I noticed the same problem and have been adjusting the equipment measures (boiloff, mash tun loss, trub loss, etc and am getting there.

7 Gallons? What is your batch size? 6.5 gallon with .5 gallons set as trub fermenter loss?

Back