Excel help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJTHEBEST

Reaction score
Hey all,

So im trying to analyze my data for my survey project. I've hit a snag though.

Im trying to see if people who spent more money brew more or less than people who spent less money.

Is there a formula in excel that can say people who spent, for example, 500 to 1000 dollars and brewed more than 100 gallons?

This is pretty hard to explain (it seems so simple in my head)

Thanks

I think conditional formatting is going to work for visually displaying the data you seek. The condition would look something like this:

AND(AND(A1>=500, A1<=1000), B1>=100)

Where A1 contains dollars spent and B1 contains gallons brewed.

Thanks.

The thing is i have my data coded. 1 through 5 for dollars spent and 1 through 6 for gallons brewed.

Could i use that formula with this type of data?

Alright I think i got it thanks.

Now what do i do with all the true falses? Can i make some sort of graph? frequency bin or something?

This is a big help!

If you're not using conditional formatting to visually display the results on the worksheet itself (Google "conditional formatting"), then explore the use of IF, COUNT, COUNTA, and COUNTIF. Google is a big help when trying to create or decipher Excel functions and formulas.

A quick IF example:

Let's say that "1" in column A means "Spent $500 to $1000."
And that the only other budget option is "Spent less than $500."

And that "2" in column B means "Brewed over 100 gallons this year."
And that the only other volume option is "Brewed less than 100 gallons this year."

This formula could be useful:
=IF(A1=1, IF(B1=2, "Big spender...big brewer", "Big spender...not much to show for it"), "Tightwad")

Then you could count the instances of each phrase in order to test your hypothesis or attempt to show some statistical correlation(s).

Your data will likely result in much larger nested IF statements (or several columns of logical tests), but hopefully that gets you a place to start.

Back